Newbie Needs Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceandjinn

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks I decided to change from SSI to PADI ADVANCED OPEN WATER( did it in the maldives what a way to go).Ne way the problem is that with the ssi course the cheap so and so's gave me a photo copy of the ssi dive tables.I need a copy and explanation of the PADI tables in METRIC please:shakehead as the course was done with dive computers. I tried the other links here but got nothing. Your sugeestions and help r appreciated
p

I haven't used it (disclaimer obligation discharged!), however, this might fit your bill. It's a downloadable tutor for the tables in both Imperial and Metric (as well as the tables themselves). There's a shareware version, so you can do a try and buy...
http://home.flash.net/~table/table/index.htm

Btw, how did you like the Maldives? It's a long-time ambition of mine to do a dive vacation there (the other side of the world requires *long* term planning for me, time-wise... so I need to know if it will be worth it...)

Thankyou my friend
Absolutely heaven on earth. I flew from japan so it wasnt to bad and we stayed at olhuveli resort(second honeymoon) The crew from sundive were excellent.Also Palau and near okinawa are a set of islands called the kerama islands are really worth the look.Im australian but these places beat aus any day and I learned to dive at the great barrier reef.

and yet another welcome.

As far as converting Imperial to Metric: I assume you got a copy of the front and back of the dive table. In that case, just divide feet by ~.367 and you get meters (I'm sure you knew that). Time and pressure groups are the same.

But your mention of 'Advanced' is what troubles me.

If you are a new diver, why are you looking at an advanced certification?
Is there an objective other than collecting c-cards?

Several people on this site have gone far beyond their certification, but the stories I have read of their brginning dive experiences seem to always include something like "it's a wonder I didn't kill myself".

If you want the advanced certification to mean something, get the experience first. Then if you need the certification to go on a particular excursion, or move into a more adanced or technical field, it will just be a validation of what you already know; not a license to hurt yourself or someone else.

Sorry, I'm feeling fatherly right now even though I don't have the experience or training to do so.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

debitthis:
As far as converting Imperial to Metric: I assume you got a copy of the front and back of the dive table. In that case, just divide feet by ~.367 and you get meters (I'm sure you knew that). Time and pressure groups are the same.

But your mention of 'Advanced' is what troubles me.

If you are a new diver, why are you looking at an advanced certification?
Is there an objective other than collecting c-cards?

Several people on this site have gone far beyond their certification, but the stories I have read of their brginning dive experiences seem to always include something like "it's a wonder I didn't kill myself".

If you want the advanced certification to mean something, get the experience first. Then if you need the certification to go on a particular excursion, or move into a more adanced or technical field, it will just be a validation of what you already know; not a license to hurt yourself or someone else.

Sorry, I'm feeling fatherly right now even though I don't have the experience or training to do so.
Its not a major problem it is only that The original table i got was a photocopy with the SSI acreditation and the Advanced padi open water doesnt come with the chart.What I wanted was a waterproof sheet so I could recheck manually as a back up to see where the discrepancies are.Particularly as my limits are changing due to temp wetsuit bouyancy conditions.

Sorry I forgot to mention I do have the experience and have just passed my advanced doing the options of deep, nav,night drift,boat and underwater naturalist.What I wanted was a plastic backup I can check to prepare even if the computer stuffs up mid dive.I class myself as a newbie because after the amount Of dives I have done (about 120 )I'm still learning and will continue to learn.Thankyou for your concern it is appreciated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom