Newbie needs help on regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi ya Bubbles. Input on regs....is that a can of worms I hear being opened? :)

I like my Apeks reg (since I shelled out my hard earned cash) as well as Aqualung's regs. I started out using a Tusa RS-230 which work just find, but I really like my Apeks.

Have fun

elmbruker:
Welcome to the board.

From what I've read..."Poseidon extreme" regs work well in all positions. Check out the Regulator section for lots of good information on all the regs you listed.

I use the Xstream...
Downside...
1. They're expensive...
Upside...
1. You will never over-breathe them even if you are providing a buddy air as well...
2. There is no right side up issues...

Hello,welcome to the board.In my opinion,I would recommend Scubapro,Aqualung or Atomic,these are very reliable regs,and very good performers,but you should do some research,read some articles.And most important,if you want a good performer,get a balanced reg.
Good luck.

my husband and I both dive atomic z2's. they weren't really expensive and they breathe very easy. not sure about the up position,never tried it.

Welcome to the board. Do fill out your profile a bit to let us know where you are in the world and any other information you feel comfortable sharing.

The dive industry mfg tend to have rules limiting their sellers from selling competing brands. So you can carry their product, but not the other guys. Net result is, the LDS will sell A: what he believes in and B: what he can get a contract on the best terms to carry and C: what will sell.

So this year the LDS may be saying Brand X is the bomb, and brand Y is yuck. Next year we use to carry Brand X but we found it did not perform to our standards and Brand Y is the bomb (which we now carry). Check the Regulator forum here for more information. The bottom line is each regulator will have its own good and bad points. Some regulators do not perform well in all positions as you have discovered, others do. The next question is price, is the breaths well when looking up worth the cost of that brand to you.

All of the above are fine products, I don't think I saw Sherwood, affordable, very reliable and servicable almost anyplace. I'd suggest not getting the Brut but the Blizzard and Oasis units are nice products.

Now about your point of concern. Remember that your second stage is delivering air at pressure equal to that of the water surrounding it. In a normal swimming posture your lungs and second stage are essentially at the same depth and it feels like you are breathing on the surface, maybe even better! If you crane your head upward it is now shallower and even a few inches can be perceptible since you now have more pressure on your chest that you have air presure being delivered your work of breating will rise. This is universal to any regulator, since it is not a regulator issue. You can see this same phenomenon with just a snorkel. Carefully note your breathing will swimming along and then check it while hanging plumb at the surface.

Another phenomenon common to most second stages is to breathe wet when inverted. this has to do with the positioning of the exhaust check valve and is nothing to be alarmed about unless you plan to paint the ceiling of an underwater cave. If that is your goal then I have heard the the Posiedon line breaths the driest in any orientation.

Pete

honestly we've had nothing but problems with them and for that reason we don't carry them.

Happy Diving

Bubbles!!:
Hello,
I need some advice on regulators. My LDS is apparently a strong supporter of ScubaPro. That's great and all, but I need an honest opinion because even though I really like to support my LDS, I am buying a regulator, my life support system!! and I want to make sure that I am not getting biased opinions. From what I've checked out. Mares, Atomic, Scubapro, and Apeks are what I've heard the most about and what I hear the best on.
My main concern is this. I know I am new but everytime I look up in the water, my air flow becomes restricted and I cannot look up for long. Is there a regulator out there that distributes even and smooth air flow no matter what the position? And I am concerned about performance. If anyone has any good input, please let me know. Thanks!

As you can plainly see this is turning into a love fest of what Regulators each of us like. Of course when you spend that much money on something even if it isn't the best you are likely to defend it to the end. :D

Bottom line to your question is that Scubapro makes a GREAT Regulator system and very high quality products. There are others that are equal to or even microscopically better but they are a solid choice. You likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the top models despite what crap you hear come out of our fingers here.

If you can get good service from your local shop then you are making a good decision. You don't tell us where you are diving so its hard to tell what environments you are likely to be in (cold/warm/ect). Get a good balanced first and second stage system. You won't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom