Newbie needs help on regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles!!

New
Reaction score
Hello,
I need some advice on regulators. My LDS is apparently a strong supporter of ScubaPro. That's great and all, but I need an honest opinion because even though I really like to support my LDS, I am buying a regulator, my life support system!! and I want to make sure that I am not getting biased opinions. From what I've checked out. Mares, Atomic, Scubapro, and Apeks are what I've heard the most about and what I hear the best on.
My main concern is this. I know I am new but everytime I look up in the water, my air flow becomes restricted and I cannot look up for long. Is there a regulator out there that distributes even and smooth air flow no matter what the position? And I am concerned about performance. If anyone has any good input, please let me know. Thanks!

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. Please, do add a Profile Pic. If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

Personally I'm very happy with my Apeks ATX-50/DS4 but have a look here (Regulators) as well for other opinions.

Any other questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by GreetBot R/2 :D

Welcome to the board.

From what I've read..."Poseidon extreme" regs work well in all positions. Check out the Regulator section for lots of good information on all the regs you listed.

Welcome Bubbles! I'd encourage you to hang out in the Regulators form, run some searches, follow the threads and also ask questions. Your question may not get enough visibility posted here in the Introductions and Greet forum.

With that said, in my experience, you'll find most (maybe all) LDS only care a small number of brands. It is just too expensive to care all of the brands of equipment. So, visit several LDS' if you can and do alot of reading online. Certainly here at SB (the best resource, of course!), check out vendor websites as they all have a presence online, scubadiving.com (Scuba Diving Magazine) for reviews, and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of right now.

I think you'll find that there are a group of maybe 5-8 major players in the regulator market and while there are certainly differences between them, they all really do make very good, reliable products.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

The suggestions to go to the Reg forum are good, or maybe we can move this there? I wonder about that looking up thing, never noticed it in my Oceanic or my MK-25?

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-011.gif

Bubbles I am also new to scuba and the reg I went with has been great so far. I went with the Aeris Pro from www.scubatoys.com Larry gave me great advice and a great price and if you mention you are a Scuba Board member he will give you 10% off.

Larry could help you decide what would work well for you

Apeks and Scubapro both have superlative reputations... the information you're getting doesn't seem to be biased. Mares and Atomic both make some very good regs as well.

Lets not leave out the parent....Aqualung to this list please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom