Newbie - need advice on Belize trip???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roni at Protech:
PADI have a very well defined training system, that specify what should be done on each dive, and what is acceptable performance level. Therefore, base on the PADI system, the skill preformed on the OW dives will be the same any were a diver take a course. Naturally there can be a different in the quality and teaching ability of the instructor.

The difference on time required for the skills comes from the size of class. In Belize most course are one to two students per course, as the class is basically a private class, and there are not another 10 students that need to demonstrate skills, this leave time to dive and see some fish.

I am all for local diving, any dive is better than no diving.

September and October are our main months for hurricane session, therefore, it is a very good idea to have vacation cancellation/ interruption insurance. DAN Preferred Policy cost $70 and provide diving insurance and cancellation/ interruption.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

I had 4 people in my class, so that was not an issue. It takes what it takes and if it really only takes 5 minutes, whatever. My main point here is that focusing on "it's only 5-10 minutes" is not necessarily a positive. As far as I'm concerned one should be learning through those whole dives.

DAN insurance does not cover the same things as a regular trip policy, it's right in the chart you linked to. "Coverage for losses for dive trip canceled due to injury or illness before departure." "Coverage for losses incurred for dive trip interrupted due to injury or illness after departure." That's _your_ illness or injury, not other things. (And the lifetime maxes are not that high.) Read the fine print at "http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf"

Damselfish:
DAN insurance does not cover the same things as a regular trip policy, it's right in the chart you linked to. "Coverage for losses for dive trip canceled due to injury or illness before departure." "Coverage for losses incurred for dive trip interrupted due to injury or illness after departure." That's _your_ illness or injury, not other things. (And the lifetime maxes are not that high.) Read the fine print at "http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf"

Did you receive your a copy of the magazine this month? DAN now offers seperate trip insurance, which does cover cancelations for huricanes. I haven't had time to look at the site yet, but it's supposed to be there...

DandyDon:
Did you receive your a copy of the magazine this month? DAN now offers seperate trip insurance, which does cover cancelations for huricanes. I haven't had time to look at the site yet, but it's supposed to be there...

Yes, I actually saw it in an email I got from DAN. I mentioned it my other post - "DAN is now selling trip insurance too."

I just wanted to make sure someone doesn't buy DAN dive insurance thinking they had full trip insurance.

Damselfish:
Yes, I actually saw it in an email I got from DAN. I mentioned it my other post - "DAN is now selling trip insurance too."

I just wanted to make sure someone doesn't buy DAN dive insurance thinking they had full trip insurance.

Yeah, I've seen that misunderstood before.

tootalljones:
Thanks to all who replied. I will be staying at Ambergris Caye close to San Pedro. So, Dandy, I will be very interested to read about your trip when you get back. I plan on buying a mask, snorkel, fins, booties, and maybe a weight belt. So, I'll need to rent the rest. I'll look into renting here, but I was hoping on renting there to minimize on luggage. Any more suggestions as to which dives I should focus on? I'm not interested in anything too advanced, but would like to get the best diving in I can get. Also, any more advise on equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I lived and dived in San Pedro for a year and a half. Most of the dive shops offer rental equipment. Amigos Del Mar is probably the biggest. I dived with them until I had my own boat. Good outfit. There are lots of dive sites within 10 minutes of the shop. Try to take a day trip to Turneffe. I've done the Blue Hole a few times but unless it's really calm seas it's a long, rough ride. The Elbow on the south tip of Turneffe is awesome. Good night life there too. Have fun. Hank

One thing every diver should pack is their membership card to DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom