Newbie help; basics about good/cheap diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most, i live now in the Philippines three years food just ok they really have not much culture in cooking most are too poor to buy good food ,the fruit is great the people are really wonderful very friendly i love it here it is sunny everyday it seems .I am Davao southern end of the Philippines ..diving is good anywhere... manila is a big city just stay away ..with only two weeks figure out what you like to do on vacation do you want to be spoiled go to big resort if you want. to go cheap on a budget come to Davao three dive shops they have dives everyday on big boat or on small speed boat can get anything you need or want ..price Carabao dive center is operated by a american who is old timer of diving been instructor 30-40 years has pictures on cover of scuba magazine from the old days in the stated of diving great guy 76 years old and still teaching class has nice dive shop then there Wind and wave high roller diving in Davao nice shop has all the toys cost more cost you about 1200 peso a day for everything including lunch boat equipment and a divemaster or higher to guide you. Many have gave you the names of all tourist traps most are nice good diving but there only there to get your money and more of it.. not that its bad it just cost more.You know in the tourist traps you really do not see any of the Philippines you see what they think you want to see and i also enjoy going to them it is nice to be pampered .So you see you just have to figure out what you looking for ..if night life is big factor cebu maybe better

I almost choked reading this...:wink:

Hmmmm.....not clear what the guy was trying say....

errr.... also trying to understand it.

you know what's tourist trap? El Nido Resorts. i know, i know... if i had the money, id stay there... but errr... maybe not.

I think there is a good chance this person or persons is a 'troll', look at their join date!!! After a few drinks myself I found his post quite hilarious!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back to work, shucks!!!:wink:

I agree with most, i live now in the Philippines three years food just ok they really have not much culture in cooking most are too poor to buy good food ,the fruit is great the people are really wonderful very friendly i love it here it is sunny everyday it seems .I am Davao southern end of the Philippines ..diving is good anywhere... manila is a big city just stay away ..with only two weeks figure out what you like to do on vacation do you want to be spoiled go to big resort if you want. to go cheap on a budget come to Davao three dive shops they have dives everyday on big boat or on small speed boat can get anything you need or want ..price Carabao dive center is operated by a american who is old timer of diving been instructor 30-40 years has pictures on cover of scuba magazine from the old days in the stated of diving great guy 76 years old and still teaching class has nice dive shop then there Wind and wave high roller diving in Davao nice shop has all the toys cost more cost you about 1200 peso a day for everything including lunch boat equipment and a divemaster or higher to guide you. Many have gave you the names of all tourist traps most are nice good diving but there only there to get your money and more of it.. not that its bad it just cost more.You know in the tourist traps you really do not see any of the Philippines you see what they think you want to see and i also enjoy going to them it is nice to be pampered .So you see you just have to figure out what you looking for ..if night life is big factor cebu maybe better
not an entirely fair assessment of the culture of cooking but that's neither here nor there...

to be fair, food here is too influenced by chinese and spanish cuisines...

too poor to buy food? so are many people in india... doesn't mean they don't have a distinct cuisine...

again... a discussion for another forum... not diving related...

Jag

PS
punctuation... amazing thing :eyebrow:

i am from davao and the food there is GOOD! seafood is cheap. tuna, blue marlin, squid etc. i always gain weight when i visit davao. where have you been eating in the last three years, man?
as for the diving, lots of the sites recommended here offer superb diving and prices vary depending on where you stay or who you dive with. biases aside, davao diving is good and cheap but certainly not the best the country has to offer.

I have a word I made up for those sort of people ...well, the ones that do not seem too sharp?!?! The word is GASCHMOO
It is pronounced - ga (like ga-ga baby talk talk) sch (German SHH sound) and moo (like the cow)
This will be added to the dictionary next year.....NOT!:rofl3:

errr.... also trying to understand it.

What I get is basically the person is stoked to be in Davao and the diving is good and cheap there. As good or better than the known resorts. I kind of have to agree with that. I've had some of my best dives off fishing villages in Antique with no names. (Secret spots Baby D Hah!!)
Regarding the food, although I have developed a tasted for it and now really like it, when I first arrived in Iloilo, my impression was pretty much what he said. Bland, spice wise. Garlic, salt and pepper...and of course sinamak. When I was in Davao there were lots of Ilonggos so I guess the food is a lot the same. Cebu is pretty much the same.
I don't understand the comment about "too poor to get good food" though. Eveyone in Iloilo, rich or poor, seems to like the same foods. ??

What I get is basically the person is stoked to be in Davao and the diving is good and cheap there. As good or better than the known resorts. I kind of have to agree with that. I've had some of my best dives off fishing villages in Antique with no names. (Secret spots Baby D Hah!!)
Regarding the food, although I have developed a tasted for it and now really like it, when I first arrived in Iloilo, my impression was pretty much what he said. Bland, spice wise. Garlic, salt and pepper...and of course sinamak. When I was in Davao there were lots of Ilonggos so I guess the food is a lot the same. Cebu is pretty much the same.
I don't understand the comment about "too poor to get good food" though. Eveyone in Iloilo, rich or poor, seems to like the same foods. ??
batchoy, anyone?

Araskaldo? Is that spelled right? Chicken with rice and calamansi, soy and toasted garlic...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom