Newbie help; basics about good/cheap diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's because he was always trying to carry your wetsuit later.....

We stayed in Bali this last August, and dove the Tulumben wreck. After our two dives (it was about 1PM by then) we went back to the dive shop and after I finished rinsing my gear I was ready to roll and go have a beer. But the DM and staff insisted I come up stairs for a 'sitdown' lunch with the others, I guess it was included in the price of two dives. I have had snacks before and some 'box lunches' but this really 'blew me away'. It was about US$26 or $27 a dive! That's service which I did not expect:D

whoa! that's some service!

:D

We stayed in Bali this last August, and dove the Tulumben wreck. After our two dives (it was about 1PM by then) we went back to the dive shop and after I finished rinsing my gear I was ready to roll and go have a beer. But the DM and staff insisted I come up stairs for a 'sitdown' lunch with the others, I guess it was included in the price of two dives. I have had snacks before and some 'box lunches' but this really 'blew me away'. It was about US$26 or $27 a dive! That's service which I did not expect:D

There you go! Somehow using "cheap" in SCUBA diving just goes against the grain. The term "less expensive" is much more accurate. The guys in OZ need to get control of their prices...wow.

BabyD, you are right. The use of the word cheap, was not necessarily the best choice, and in the way you refer to it, isn't what I was meaning. I was more meaning "good value" diving...:coffee:

I agree there is a minimum I want in quality operation to ensure my security. Unfortunately I've found that this is not always matched by price. That is higher price does not always mean better quality.:shakehead: Finding the good value dives with good quality Operations is a hard task! Thank goodness for Scubaboard where we all try to help out each other!:coffee::coffee:

Anyways, I'm still trying to see for cheap flights... Travelocity announces flights from LA to cebu for as low as 600$, but when you go see, you find out there are no places available... :shakehead::shakehead:

What airlines do you guys usually use for traveling from the US to Philippines? What fares do you usually get? Any good recommendations for online ticket searching/ buying?

Thanks all!:coffee:

I usually pay 900-1100$ from the midwest US via NWA, United or Malaysia air(if you go via LAX).

Btw, where in Canada you located? Toronto boy right here. :14:

Chip, I'm from Montreal.

News since my last post. My girlfriend has given me the green light if i want to do my DM internship over there!!!!:11::11::11::11: She always manages to amaze me!! But she can't get more than a week of vacation from her boss, so she couldn,t come and join me...:(:( So now, the only thing to consider is the financial aspect and do I want to leave my Girlfriend behind for 4-5 weeks. I found a flight to Cebu for 950$ on Cathay airlines. That's the best I could find.

Now need to decide if the DM thing is what I want to do!!! After all, it won't be all fun and games...:no

Cheers all!:coffee:

Codman, Cathay Pacific would be my recommendation as well. However, if you do the LA - Cebu route, you may have to stay overnight in HKG. Have you checked Philippine Airlines? They do tend to be expensive, but their schedules would be more favorable.

Chip, I'm from Montreal.

News since my last post. My girlfriend has given me the green light if i want to do my DM internship over there!!!!:11::11::11::11: She always manages to amaze me!! But she can't get more than a week of vacation from her boss, so she couldn,t come and join me...:(:( So now, the only thing to consider is the financial aspect and do I want to leave my Girlfriend behind for 4-5 weeks. I found a flight to Cebu for 950$ on Cathay airlines. That's the best I could find.

Now need to decide if the DM thing is what I want to do!!! After all, it won't be all fun and games...:no

Cheers all!:coffee:

Sweet. I graduated from McGill in 2004. J'aime Montreal. :heart:!

$900 round trip or one way? If round trip, that's a great price. My ticket is costing me $1200 Toronto - Manila round trip. One way would have cost my $700.

"After all, it won't be all fun and games..." LOL don't kid yourself.... :D hehehe, yeah I understand. I still think it's a great idea to do it. If you compare the cost in the PI to other places in SEAsia you could do your DMship, the PI is a great choice. And compared to the St. Lawrence river....well it's hard to compare tropical settings vs. cold water settings since I'm a warm water wuss. :D

Just a suggestion: why don't you go ahead to the PI for 3-4 weeks and get your girlfriend to join you the last week in Malapascua and fly back to Canada together? When she flies into Cebu you can meet her and travel back up to Malapascua together. Then you can be her personal DM/tour guide and show her ropes around the island and the dive sites. Pure romance! :14: She's also more familiar with Dorval Airport than Cebu Airport - so it would be better for her to travel alone in Canada than the Philippines.

edit: thinking about it, if you have to stay over in HK, that might be why it's cheaper....

Canadians from Canadia.....oh boy..... we want to be French, American, British or Eskimo....LOVE THOSE CANUCKS!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom