Newbie help; basics about good/cheap diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my temp dive buddy (for a while, that is) did just that. took a DM course so he can get all the diving he wants for FREE plus he gets to finish with a DM certificate.

was way cheaper for him than having to pay for the dives himself. he did it in PG, btw.

i guess it would be awesome to do the DM training in Cabilao. man, to dive those sites everyday...

Well guys and galls, looking over the websites and drooling at all the diving to do... Another option hit me like a ton of bricks... An option I had never seriously considered before... Doing a DM internship over there!!!! :D:D:D

It would certainly be a great experience! And I'd get lots of diving in a great place. Although it would be a form of work, not just recreational as my previous diving experiences. What do you all think of this option? Have any of you done your DM or Instructor courses over there?

I'm thinking of Malapascua, with Thresher sharks... They seem quite professional and my first contact with them gave me a good vibe. For now, it's just a dream... But...:14:

Thanks all!

There ya go....leave the real world and become a dive bum....always wanted to do that...oh...wait a minute....we are doing that!!! Yeah, wooHoo!!! Visayas Rocks!!! Philippines Diving RULZ!!! Yeah, yippee, wooHoo....sorry

I have no doubt that there is better diving in places I have not been to yet(but I doubt it gets much better) but I dont think you could find a more FUN place to go for a dive trip!!!!!

hehehe, yep. As hank said, everything is relative. Boracay is a good time.

yup...i back chip's play here. boracay is awesome, even if only for a few days.

the only thing that bummed me out was when the local boats who take people out for snorkling or freediving end up raping the coral reefs when they anchor. i'm not talking about the dive ops, just the average fisherman/boatowner looking to score some extra money. this happens mainly because the boracay economy is almost entirely based on tourism...and you get a lot of travelers looking to get rock bottom prices on their activities. so the result during the high season is hundreds of small boats and paraws poorly anchored along the shoreline, drifting along, and taking the coral with them.

but I was too busy being drunk to care. :coke:

. Doing a DM internship over there!!!! :D:D:D

It would certainly be a great experience! And I'd get lots of diving in a great place. Although it would be a form of work, not just recreational as my previous diving experiences. What do you all think of this option? Have any of you done your DM or Instructor courses over there?

!

I did my dm, idc and ie on Boracay in 98-99. The dm was with Fisheye and idc, while working with Fisheye, was with George Weggman, who at the time was with Calypso. I thought it was good, although many on SB would argue the effectiveness of a PADI dm course. It took me about 3-4 months to complete. Being around a busy dive shop gets one into the "diving head" with people coming from all over, photograhers, commercial divers, people taking courses...day trips. Good experience.

George was my IE.......not sure if I told you that before. Great guy, fair, super critical eye, constructive criticism at every turn, overall great representative of PADI and what we stand for.....

I did my dm, idc and ie on Boracay in 98-99. The dm was with Fisheye and idc, while working with Fisheye, was with George Weggman, who at the time was with Calypso. I thought it was good, although many on SB would argue the effectiveness of a PADI dm course. It took me about 3-4 months to complete. Being around a busy dive shop gets one into the "diving head" with people coming from all over, photograhers, commercial divers, people taking courses...day trips. Good experience.

I agree with most, i live now in the Philippines three years food just ok they really have not much culture in cooking most are too poor to buy good food ,the fruit is great the people are really wonderful very friendly i love it here it is sunny everyday it seems .I am Davao southern end of the Philippines ..diving is good anywhere... manila is a big city just stay away ..with only two weeks figure out what you like to do on vacation do you want to be spoiled go to big resort if you want. to go cheap on a budget come to Davao three dive shops they have dives everyday on big boat or on small speed boat can get anything you need or want ..price Carabao dive center is operated by a american who is old timer of diving been instructor 30-40 years has pictures on cover of scuba magazine from the old days in the stated of diving great guy 76 years old and still teaching class has nice dive shop then there Wind and wave high roller diving in Davao nice shop has all the toys cost more cost you about 1200 peso a day for everything including lunch boat equipment and a divemaster or higher to guide you. Many have gave you the names of all tourist traps most are nice good diving but there only there to get your money and more of it.. not that its bad it just cost more.You know in the tourist traps you really do not see any of the Philippines you see what they think you want to see and i also enjoy going to them it is nice to be pampered .So you see you just have to figure out what you looking for ..if night life is big factor cebu maybe better

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom