Newbie help; basics about good/cheap diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience if you are working on any sort of budget there is only one point of entry, Manila.
Cebu and Clark are both 400-500$ more on any flights I have ever seen from the states, so that pretty much resolves that one.
The good news is its very easy to catch an internal flight for 30-60$ each way down to the really good dive spots in the south.(take some time to look for 1p fares on Cebu Pacific)

As others have said the PI is a really fun, mostly safe, visitor friendly place. It is very cheap once you get your plane ticket.

Again my opinion the diving blows away anything in the Caribbean, especially the variety of marine life, Puerto Galera/Verde island is meant to be the center of the universe for this. So its well worth the extra miles for you to go.

If you have two weeks I would do 1 week in PG and 1 week down south.
PG is especially great if you are a single guy and want to do some night diving!
PG is easy to reach from Manila(2 hr bus, 1 hr ferry)

Down south you could try any combo of Cabilao, Malapasqua, Moalboal, Cebu, Santander, Dumaguete, or Siquijor. There are many more but those are the main ones. Do some studying here and on the web about the various sites and pick 1 or 2. I think the Cabilao and Dumaguete(Dauin/Apo Island) stand out.

get there and enjoy!

This can be made easier even further......if you don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars more for transportation, personal safety and comfort.....call the resort you are going to stay at in PG (recommend Sabang Inn, Atlantis, Asia Divers) and have their driver pick you up at the airport and take you straight to Leia Beach to meet a private ferryt that will drop you off right in front of the hotel on PG. This is the shiznit and is the fastest way to get there. One of the PPD'ers will volunteer to help you get settled in I am sure!!!

In PG:
I work with a smaller budget and like Big Apple for rooms and Frontier scuba for diving.

They are a small, friendly, massively experienced crew and do Rec and Tec instruction and diving.
No more than 6 divers in a group.

... One of the PPD'ers will volunteer to help you get settled in I am sure!!!

well, vinz, whenever you are ready. :D

well, vinz, whenever you are ready. :D

well im ready as soon as i get off the airport :D. just got to find where did i put that sim card i bought the last time i was there so i can leave my contact number. as far as transportation i'm glad i kept that old car & lite ace that i bought 2 years ago. i knew it would come handy again someday.

Thanks to you all for your help with these questions! From what I've gathered, Malapuscua seems very interesting to me because of the possibility of Pelagics along with great small stuff to see. I must admit, I love both equally. The other spots you've mentioned also seem great, but I'll definetly not be able to visit everywhere if I go and will have to choose. But at least know, I'm better equiped to look for information on the different destinations.

By the way, do any of you think that 12 or so days of diving at Malapuscua (3-4 dives a day) would be too much? Beter to move elsewhere? Or stick to one spot? For me, 12 days is kind of in between a long stay in one resort and a short 1 week stayleaving you wanting more ... :(

Thanks again everyone!:coffee:

Thanks to you all for your help with these questions! From what I've gathered, Malapuscua seems very interesting to me because of the possibility of Pelagics along with great small stuff to see. I must admit, I love both equally. The other spots you've mentioned also seem great, but I'll definetly not be able to visit everywhere if I go and will have to choose. But at least know, I'm better equiped to look for information on the different destinations.

By the way, do any of you think that 12 or so days of diving at Malapuscua (3-4 dives a day) would be too much? Beter to move elsewhere? Or stick to one spot? For me, 12 days is kind of in between a long stay in one resort and a short 1 week stayleaving you wanting more ... :(

Thanks again everyone!:coffee:
from what the guys here have experienced you're better off doing a few days in malapascua and then continuing somewhere in the visayas (generally 1/2 to 1 day's travel) like bohol/ cabilao

you don't lose out on diving due to no-fly times and if you time the trips right (and if my math checks out) you can leave malapascua around lunch and have dinner in cabilao...

caloy and jon just got back from cabilao (bohol) and had nothing but awe for it... pak and dennis have done it too and same reaction...

tornados of jacks plus the small stuff...

damn i wish i had a couple of weeks off to dive...

Jag

I second shugar's advice but I would like to add that you dive Balicasag Island (yes it is in Bohol). From Cebu City take a short 1 1/2 ferry ride (Oceanjet ferry) to Tagbilaran. I dove with Philippine Island Divers ( :. Philippine Islands Divers - Bohol Divers. Alona Beach, Panglao Bohol and Malapascua, Cebu. Philippines).

Try this resort too in Panglao Isis Bungalows - Resort in Panglao Bohol - Philippines (adjacent to Phildivers). Other dive ops in Panglao are Genesisdivers, Sea Explorers, Polaris divers...

Yeah Baby.....Visayas Rocks! Dive all over the Visayas...too much to see and do with so little time

Well guys and galls, looking over the websites and drooling at all the diving to do... Another option hit me like a ton of bricks... An option I had never seriously considered before... Doing a DM internship over there!!!! :D:D:D

It would certainly be a great experience! And I'd get lots of diving in a great place. Although it would be a form of work, not just recreational as my previous diving experiences. What do you all think of this option? Have any of you done your DM or Instructor courses over there?

I'm thinking of Malapascua, with Thresher sharks... They seem quite professional and my first contact with them gave me a good vibe. For now, it's just a dream... But...:14:

Thanks all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom