Newbie Diver with a few questions for my fellow Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbred:
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like diving during winter is definetely doable down here and it doesn't look like I'll have too much of a problem finding a dive buddy or two. As for the dry suit suggestions that's where I'll probably end up, but from what I've read on here jumping straight into a dry suit as a beginner is ill advised. I'll just have to deal with the cold for now. Thanks again everyone.

Nothing wrong with getting into a drysuit as a new diver----many folks up north do it all the time. It does add a bit of task loading to you and req. some new skills,,,,,a drysuit spec. class can help you over the learning curve. Give us a call at Surface Interval Scuba and we can visit about the poss. of a BARE drysuit or a 7mil wetsuit.

I dove many dives (20 or so) in Lake Travis last winter with a 5mm farmer john pants and a 7 mm long sleeved shorty over that (plus hoods, booties, and gloves). I primed the suit with warm water from the microwave before entering the water, and I could last about 50 minutes in 56 degree water. After that (diving doubles), I got really cold. Too cold for safety (I had spongy knees and a pronounced tingling in my calf muscles after one extra long dive of about 75 minutes).

I recently purchased a BARE drysuit, complete with undergarments, boots, hood, and gloves for about $900, and I plan on using that from about November to June, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet (probably this weekend).

However, without a drysuit, I would probably do it another season wet, and winter diving is much better in Lake Travis than summer diving (imho), ignoring the "above water" part. I personally would keep it to 50 minutes or less with my wetsuit, but I have very little body fat, and a full 7mm wetsuit could possibly have made the difference for me.

I'm a little late but Welcome to the Swampers! If you aren't doing anything the 10th, come join us at ScubaToys and/or dinner afterward. You'll find the details so far ---->HERE.

We'd love to meet ya!

Hey Gang....does drinking with other Swampers qualify you to be one?!?!

My limits were 30 minutes at 52 degrees in a 7mm suit with an attached hood.
Neoprene socks do help with the feet. Also scuba booties with sneaker soles provide support and add warmth. I wear a wind shirt with fleece lining (Bare) under my wetsuit makes it easier to get in and out of the suit and slows water movement around in the suit. While the standard is to buy the suit snug fitting I prefer a looser fit- my developed choice after owning 6 wetsuits.

I would recommend having a nice set of fleece sweat suit (old navy) and a jogging suit. Fleece warm up after the dive and jogging suit to be pulled over in case of the wind. Fleece caps help also.

For longer dives (over 30 minutes) a drysuit is worth the money. However for a new diver the price can be a little rough. My first suit was 7mm hooded suit and I used that for years before buying a drysuit. For divers that have purchased everything else then it makes more sense.

Andrew

davidbred:
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like diving during winter is definetely doable down here and it doesn't look like I'll have too much of a problem finding a dive buddy or two. As for the dry suit suggestions that's where I'll probably end up, but from what I've read on here jumping straight into a dry suit as a beginner is ill advised. I'll just have to deal with the cold for now. Thanks again everyone.

Ok so I am totally not from Texas, but I did my OW class in a dry suit (way too cold in BC waters without one at this time of year)...it is definitely ok for a new diver to learn dry. Yes, it is a wee bit more tricky and there are a couple more things to think about, but take it easy on your dives, go with someone who has lots of dry suit experience, and you should be fine.

(I admit, I lurk in this forum...I love it down in Texas...have been a couple times and will be spending a month down there next June, I think. :) )

creamofwheat:
(I admit, I lurk in this forum...I love it down in Texas...have been a couple times and will be spending a month down there next June, I think. :) )

You are more than welcome to lurk and post. Just come dive with us when you come down. :D

2-bit

Remember, its going to be cold in the Winter and thats just a fact.
A Neo-Sport 7 mill long john set up and 5 mil hood /gloves/boots gets me into 45 degree water. That is about as cold as water gets in Texas or S. Oklahoma. I've stayed in 45 degree water for 1 1/2 hours with that setup. Yea, I was a bit cold/finger numb when I got out but it's always colder once you hit shore!! The biggest thing to remember I think is to plan for warmth when you hit the shore. (easy place to doft, towels, lots of easy to don warm clothes, a hat, tasty jolt food, maybe a fire or hot drink)
Most of all you need to be excited about Winter diving because you just can't be a wussy, its just not allowed. Find the coldest water you can and dive it and once you do anything warmer is less of an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom