Newbie Diver..Question about Honeymoon Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laura7818

Trust you instincts on this one because you are right.

Now in the spirit on the NPR show Car talk... Tell you husband he's an idiot or coyly manipulate the diving to a safe operator. Like"honey, I found this swell dive boat that will take us to some nice spots. they have tanks and everything already on the boat so we can sleep in a little extra".:wink:

Seriously, no good can come from his plan. I suspect it's rooted in a romantic vision and can easily be replaced with a safer plan if you put it in front of him.

Pete

Don't tell him he's an idiot. That's a great way to make him upset.

There was a story here recently about some people...I think they were on their honeymoon, or were married for a while. They took a sailboat out.....didn't let anyone know their plans, and went diving with no one elseon the boat. Boat flaoted away. They almost died, I think they broke up because he was such a jerk about it and refused to help her when she began to panic...they had NO life support stuff, and were just barely spotted by a passing boat after a day in the water. They got a hefty fine for having their boat drift into a shipping lane, and also because the man began using foul language on the wrong channels of the VHF marine radio to try to get someone "to get the jerks who stole his boat." It didn't end well for them.

I'd suggest finding that story, and giving it to him. Let him decide to dive with an operater, or, shore dive. But get as much diving in before your trip as you can, really, otherwise it's like a kid who's had a permit for one day speeding on the autobahn in an old car in the rain. Dangerous.

Let me get your fiancés plan straight. You and he (2 recently certified divers with no rescue or emergency skills or equipment) are going to rent a boat (I'm hoping one of you has some ocean maritime experience but something tells me the answer is no). You’re going to head out in this boat to a dive site that neither of you have ever seen (so you have no idea about tides, underwater currents, etc) leaving no one on the surface to ensure the boat stays where you left it (anchor lines can break, anchors can become dislodged, etc).

Now that’s not the MOST unsafe thing I’ve ever heard of but if something does happen you may put yourself in the running for a Darwin award.

I assume that if you’re marrying him then you love him so why don’t you hop on one of the local charters or do some local shore dives. That way you’ll have a better chance at many happy years together.

PS – Congrats on the coming nuptials and good luck on the honeymoon

Regardless of your experience, leaving the boat unattended is asking for trouble.

Laura7818:
I think this is unsafe.
Then don't do it. You may be asked to do many other types of dives. When you are unsure or feel like its unsafe, get into the good habit of just saying no. You don't need to justify it, just opt out.

Your fiance is thinking with the wrong head and I would put money on the fact that he's just looking for a little topside action "al fresco". Everyone who'se replied so far has a valid point. Be safe & dive safe. Enjoy the honeymoon!

Laura7818:
My fiance and I are getting our open water certificatino this summer before we go on our honeymoon.
Great idea, you'll love diving.
He thinks that because of this we would then be able to take our own boat and dive together...
Well, if you know the area, are experienced boaters, get in a lot of diving experience before your honeymoon, going out with your friends on your own boat can be great fun.
...with no one in the boat!!
Nope, forget what I said above. Too many scenarios involve the boat not being where you are when you surface from your dive. All of them are bad.
I think this is unsafe.
You are correct.
Can I please get some advice regarding this type of practice for considerably new divers?
You will get plenty. Heed it.
Thank you
You're welcome, and welcome to Scubaboard.

Oh sorry, When I read the title I thought you were talking about something else. I was just going to say stay well hydrated and come up for air ocasionally.

Please don't take this as bashing or negative, just my opinion, as strong as they may be.

1) Generally, its a really bad idea to leave your boat unmanned.

2) With only a "Open Water" certification level you probably don't have the level of expirience to be diving in unknown sites without a guide or expirienced diver with you. Hopefully your instructor will enforce this issue. Open Water has been so pared down so much that is really only teaches you enough to be safe. Staying humble about your level of expirience and education will help you safe for years of enjoyment. Once you have completed OW and done a few dives, look at taking AOW and rescue, these will prepare you to dive without guides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom