Newbie Diver..Question about Honeymoon Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laura7818

New
Reaction score
My fiance and I are getting our open water certificatino this summer before we go on our honeymoon. He thinks that because of this we would then be able to take our own boat and dive together...with no one in the boat!! I think this is unsafe. Can I please get some advice regarding this type of practice for considerably new divers?

Thank you

First Question is were are you going to be doing this?
Second Why would you be doing this? Dive charters are afordable and much safer depending on were you are going.:D

You SHOULD NOT dive without someone left on the boat. In addition, hire a local Dive Master for the day, it will make all the diffrence in your trip and security.

Don't worry, someday, after many more dives, you will be able to skip the DM but never dive without someone left topside.

Dave

scuba 2447:
First Question is were are you going to be doing this?
Second Why would you be doing this? Dive charters are afordable and much safer depending on were you are going.:D

I second the first question because of the answer to the second question!:D :wink:

If you're going somewhere like Bonaire, you can shore dive without someone staying on the boat (er, shore). The shore isn't going anywhere. A boat, on the other hand, *could* end up going somewhere, and floating along next to each other in the middle of open water makes for a rather un-honeymoon-y afternoon, evening, night, following day, etc.

Sure, it's probably a decently good idea to dive with someone who knows the area, or at the very least, talk to people who know the area well. The unattended boat concept, on the other hand, makes me a bit too apprehensive. (I'll dive off a small boat or canoe in a lake, as I can handle a mile or two of leisurely finning, but open water? Oi!)

(Incidentally, when we were rank newbies fresh out of class, my significant buddy and I took a trip by ourselves to do several spring and shore dives. We were extra careful, but we didn't bring anyone else along. Her parents, on the other hand, would have me quite worried if they went off without someone to guide them.)

Even for experienced divers, leaving a boat unmanned is a bad idea. What would you do if the anchor slipped and the boat drifted away or onto the reef/rocks? If a strong current swept you away from the boat? If you needed a hand getting back aboard? If some enterprising salvor claimed your abandoned boat as his own? Suffice it to say there's a lot that could go wrong.

Use a DM or not at your discretion, but don't leave a boat unmanned while you dive.

Laura7818:
My fiance and I are getting our open water certificatino this summer before we go on our honeymoon. He thinks that because of this we would then be able to take our own boat and dive together...with no one in the boat!! I think this is unsafe. Can I please get some advice regarding this type of practice for considerably new divers?

Thank you
First of all, it is generally a bad idea to leave your boat unattended while diving. Secondly, if you are in unfamiliar waters and not an advanced-level mariner, it's not a good idea to just take-off, unsupervised.

If you are at a resort location where diving is done, it is a whole-lot simpler to sign on with one of the local dive-charter operations and let them worry about the boat, the dive site, etc. Plus the advantage of having "trained professionals" around to handle the problems.

Laura7818:

Thank you

Hmmmm.....arguing before you've even gotten married!
Hey wait a minute, isn't there something else you should be focusing on during your honeymoon.........like shopping? :D

You all made a great point. This is simply not "Into the Blue" where jessica alba, paul walker and their 2 friends leave the boat unattended and go have fun.

Run now.This guy sounds like the model for the husband in open water. I know what I'm doing that's not a shark it's a tuna. But it just ate that seal. Like I said it might be a shark. But iread how to fight them off so we are ok. Hey where did the boat go?

Back
Top Bottom