Newbie Diver Mistakes-Don't do what I did

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing. Too often people don't post or discuss their mistakes out of fear of being laughed at or ridiculed. That is a disservice to others that might learn something and avoid duplicating the lesson.

Mistake #1

... PAY ATTENTION TO THE DIVE GROUP if you don't have your own personal buddy.

Mistake #2

... Moral of this story...STAY IN CONTACT WITH YOUR BUDDIES OR GROUP ...
Hard lessons learned never to be repeated again. I had a few guardian angels looking over me that day I believe

The critical lesson is that a "same ocean" buddy system does not work, you need a buddy that is there for you, not membership in some amorphous "group."

Thanks for candidly sharing, a question if I might: Did you have the same instructor for all of your classes?

TracyN,

Sorry you had all these problems. At least you are being level headed, identifying and working to solve your issues.I did enjoy reading your post, thank you for posting it. As far as your camera goes, I agree - Try reporting it lost you might be surprised how honest divers can be. I lost my gopro on the reef, and it was returned to me. Consider it a cheap lesson. If you had been injured during all of this the medical costs would have been much higher than 300.00 I am sure. Keep your chin up, and keep diving!

Tracy - congratulations on lessons learned!

Perhaps one more -- people do not want to be pushy and take an unwilling person under their wing - if you had announced, "I'm really new and would love a buddy.", I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that someone, or some pair, would have claimed you! These lessons are tough to learn, and a buddy makes it easier.

Welcome to diving. :)

Thanks for the story, thanks for the honesty. I'm glad you are all right.

Mistake #1. Instructor that would certify you as AOW with less than 25 dives and having never been in salt water (just my opinion) that would then turn you lose in the ocean, with out a buddy and with a camera. Shame on your instructor.

Again, I'm glad you are safe.

I don't know any details of this dive so this may be misguided towards Ed and if so, apologies to all...

Since Ed knew this was your first ocean dive and he hosted this event; he should have done a better job seeing that you got a decent buddy.

I am wondering if Ed is a DM of a shop putting on this little get together or is Ed some dude that says "hey, anyone up for a dive this weekend...?" Because if Ed was a DM of a shop putting this together then Ed should have been responsible for Tracy and hers well being... (using "her" as it was used in a previous post) Not taking Tracy off the hook but Ed sure knows better (assumption here!!!) but this type of attitude is getting people killed out here!

Ultimately though it is your responsibility to find someone in the group who is willing to accept the responsibility to buddy with you or hire a guide.

Tracy got what, a dozen or so dives... excited about diving the ocean without the restraints of a pool or Devils Den... Just what the heck do we really expect Tracy to know at this point??? Please do not point out that she is AOW because this means nothing more than you performed a couple of trivial task and has little to do with "real world" situations...!

It's very understandable for someone who has just paid for this trip to not want to spend their time looking after a Newbie

True but from reading, Ed was aware that this was Tracy first ocean dive, poor visibility, carrying a camera, without a partner, and what ever else is wrong with this picture... Ed could have said "No" to Tracy for this dive or was there a monetary gain involved? Ed should have either budded up with her himself or made sue that she had a responsible partner... Should have told Tracy to leave the camera on the boat for the first dive and maybe the second dive depending on how she performed on the first... I read Tracy was down to 40' and that is the only mention I saw, how deep was this dive???

Tracy, with all due respect; leave the camera alone until you have a very good grasp of your basic skills... e.g. buoyancy, trim, breathing, awareness, responsibilities, and others.... I bet you a ten dollar gold piece you have never ever deployed a SMB from 20-30' or deeper.... I never had through AOW but it was something I practiced and if you have not, practice... There is more to it than just adding air and letting go...!

Looks like you live in Tampa... if so, you should get alot of diving in! Repetition is what will help you with diving because diving 100 times in a year will drive home skills... but someone who has 100 dives over 10-15 years never really learns how to dive... but that is only my opinion...! I know your probably happy to be out of the springs but find a buddy to grow with or a mentor who will take the time to show you the ropes... On some dives, I love helping those who have just started (I only started a couple of years ago myself but I dive alot) but there are some dives where I am all about me... like when I am diving the Meg ledges...

Good luck and be safe... lee

PS When we take folks out to the Meg ledges, they must be AOW, and not just the title, you have to have experience diving North Carolina waters and with a pony... No exceptions...!

A bit of good news, the dive charter company called me today and said that they had found my weight pocket. :) They did a dive on Sunday and anchored in the same location as my first dive. One of the divemasters found my pocket as they were setting up the anchor. I really don't know how it came unclipped though since I have to give it a good pull in order for it to come out.

LoL! I love the cartoon.

To answer the questions about my training all dives were done in the Rainbow River with my deep dive being at 40 Fathoms grotto. The instructors were good and we were shown the basics but the certification classes aren't long enough to make you proficient in any one skill. That has to come with experience and practice. Never having been on a dive in the ocean I was like a kid on Christmas morning and forgot about many of the basics. In the back of my mind I knew that I shouldn't be doing what I was doing but I chose to ignore that inner voice and live in the moment. Now I know better. :)

Reactions: Jax
I saw that the others were having fun and being the newbie I didn't want to be "that person" so I decided to keep the group in my site but to back off and give them their space. Which was my biggest mistake. Plus I"m the type of person who likes to solve their own problems and won't ask for help unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

Hey Tracy,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am also a newbie in diving, still OW. And that thing I quoted from you is one of the thing we newbie divers have to battle with ourselves. In my 20 or so dives experience, I have learned that I have to have the courage to speak up. Everytime I intentionally ignored them, I always ran into some sort of trouble on the dive.

I always mentioned to the group I was travelling/dive with what my cert and my log were. However this last trip i took, I got persuaded (against my better judgment) to dove 30m-33m to see a wreck (not penetrating dives). Did it twice..., pretty stupid. To give you an example of how bad not speaking up can lead you, I was really debating the night before if I should do the 2 dives or not.

1st dive, we ran into about 3m vis and we had to swim against a strong current. sandy slope descent with the wreck rope nowhere to be seen. Since my buddy (GF) had a slight equalising problem, we (me, gf and a guide) were slacking behind the main group. At 20m my GF stopped to take her breath on top of the sandy bottom and since I am next to her I could see that the current was pushing her back (we are nowhere near anything to hide off). I glanced toward the guide and his fins could barely be seen! So I decided to pull her by the hands (not have her hand on my tank valve cos' I am afraid i wont notice if she accidentally lets go) and chased the guide to tell him to end the dive.. After about 1 or 2min of strong swim we reached the guide at 24m, and I could see some stress in his eyes. Not surprisingly, when he noticed us he suddenly motioned to head left to the shallower reefs and not to the right which is the way to the wreck. From that point on, we started our ascend process and got to the relatively slower currents area near the reefs. About 10 mins later we levelled off and did our stop and I could see that the guide just stick his pointer to a hole and just hover for the whole 3 mins or so. When we surfaced he told us that he had a really sudden and brief blackout, snapped out of it decide to end the dive. What a relief!!

2nd dive was similar, had to do a roped descend to 33m against current. Had to pull my GF again, but this time the whole group stays together.

After those 2 dives, I learnt to not ignore my gut feelings and to know what my or my gf (buddy) abilities. Learnt not to completely trust my well being to anyone. Learnt not to dive exceeding my trainings. Learnt that I didnt much enjoy being down in 30m where I can only spend so little time due to my newbie sac rate. Learnt that my dives should be fun and not worrying. Learnt that my the many hours I spent reading scubaboard helps.

I am also someone who like to solve my own problems. This is where having my gf as a buddy helps since I am already comfortable with her when it comes to expressing my problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom