Newbie diver - Maui during Thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks, any recommendations for good dive ops in Maui for a brand new diver? I won't have a buddy so on this trip I'm not necessarily looking for drive up spots. I'm open to anything within my skill level - boat, shore entry etc.

I do have one trip already planned for Molokini - I've snorkeled there before but this will be my first dive there. I booked Pride of Maui because they take both snorkelers (husband) and divers on same trip. Has anyone here gone out with them?

Thanks!
Theresa

Where are you staying?

We really like B&B for new divers. They do a very good job. And if you want to shore dive, Shaka Doug here on ScubaBoard gets very good reviews from almost everyone who dives with him. (BTW, if the weather is cooperative, you can see almost everything from shore that you are going to see off the boats. The big advantages of the boats are better viz when the surf is up, and no sand :) )

Where are you staying?

We really like B&B for new divers. They do a very good job. And if you want to shore dive, Shaka Doug here on ScubaBoard gets very good reviews from almost everyone who dives with him. (BTW, if the weather is cooperative, you can see almost everything from shore that you are going to see off the boats. The big advantages of the boats are better viz when the surf is up, and no sand :) )

Thanks! I will be staying at Grand Wailea. I'll definitely check out B&B and Shaka Doug. I do want to give shore diving a try because I've never done it before.

When I was there a couple of years ago I went with Lahaina Divers since we were staying on that side of the island. Nice group, smaller boat. We did the cathedrals and shark point. I did not have a buddy either but we dove more or less as a group so as long as you had you eye one someone it is ok. If you are a really knew diver I would request one of the DM's dive with you.

While I didn't do any shore diving I did snorkel a lot adn there are many very nice coves that you can swim out in and see nice coral and ocean life.

Have fun! It as my first trip to Maui in '03 that got me to get certified so when I went back in '08 I could dive!!

Jeff

<---- PS the pictue to the left is at the cathedrals in Maui!

Just for clarification, Lahaina Divers runs the biggest DIVE boats on Maui (46' Newtons that carry 24 divers). They're quite a bit smaller than most of the snorkel boats, like Pride of Maui which will have like 100+ people on board.

However, Lahaina Divers DOES do a great job with newer or less experienced divers and I always recommend them for trips to Lanai since their boat is great for the crossing, etc. Lynn's recommendation of B&B and Shaka Doug are excellent ones, I'll second them.

We did the cathedrals and shark point.

If you are a really knew diver I would request one of the DM's dive with you.

Just a couple nits to pick...

First Cathedral, Second Cathedral and Shark Fin Rock are dives sites off Lanai.

I have not heard of a 3-tank trip that would dive both Cathedrals and Shark Fin; did you perhaps make 2 trips?

You can not have A picture at The Cathedrals, because they are over a mile apart.

If you pay extra, you could have an instructor/guide as your buddy; not sure if there are currently any DM's working at any Maui dive operators. Many newb's without a buddy stay close to the instructor/guide that is leading the group dive; but that is not quite the same as diving with a buddy.

haleman&#333;;5566490:
If you pay extra, you could have an instructor/guide as your buddy; not sure if there are currently any DM's working at any Maui dive operators. Many newb's without a buddy stay close to the instructor/guide that is leading the group dive; but that is not quite the same as diving with a buddy.

I'm okay with paying extra, just looking for suggestions about the best way for me to dive safely (not solo) and have fun.

I was even looking at some of these 2 day "advanced cert" classes, not that I'm ready to be an advanced diver yet, but because I'd feel more comfortable with a patient instructor than an unknown insta-buddy.

Just for clarification, Lahaina Divers runs the biggest DIVE boats on Maui (46' Newtons that carry 24 divers). They're quite a bit smaller than most of the snorkel boats, like Pride of Maui which will have like 100+ people on board.

Thanks, I knew that it would be more crowded on the snorkel boat but I wanted to be able to have my husband come along on my first trip and be able to snorkel. After that I'll get into some scuba-only stuff.

When I was there a couple of years ago I went with Lahaina Divers since we were staying on that side of the island. Nice group, smaller boat. We did the cathedrals and shark point. <snip>

Thanks Jeff, that sounds like a fun trip and the pic is beautiful. I have heard good things about Lahaina Divers.

We stayed at the Grand Wailea and used Shaka Doug for the shore dives. He met us really close to the Grand W at the little mall, but we had to drive to the shore sites following him. So you'd probably want to rent a car. Have a great trip.

Oh, you might consider using Dive & Sea Maui to dive Molokini, they allow snorkelers and they are a small outfit. They meet at the Kihea boat ramp which is relatively close to the Grand W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom