Newbie cruise trip diving question (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcleveland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been reading this Board for a few weeks now and have decided you guys (and girls) know everything, so here's my newbie question...

My family is going on a cruise (Holland America Maasdam from Norfolk) in mid-November. As I looked at the cruise description I saw that they have an intro to scuba type dive excursion and thought it was interesting. Then the more I started looking into scuba diving, the better it looked. And you know the outcome of that...

Well, my 13 yo daughter and I just finished our ow cert at the quarry this past weekend (Adventure Dive and Snorkel). We're hoping to get in a few more weekends before it gets too cold for her (Lake Rawlings, central Virginia).

The cruise offers three dive excursions, the first a 25-40 foot dive location at their island, the second at St Thomas, a two tank reef and wreck dive max 60 feet, the third at St. Maarten, a two tank dive 35-70 feet.

My daughter did great, I think she has gills. She jumped in and did fine on everything. I had a little difficulty getting my ears to equalize and my bouyancy control needs help, but I did fine with everything else. I'm hoping that a couple of weekends at the quarry can resolve those issues.

I've read a lot on the Board and have seen the discussions regarding cruise excursions, but have decided that since this is both my first cruise as well as first ocean diving, I'll just live with it and do things different later.

I was able to find out the Dive operator at St Maarten and have emailed them for an opinion. I can't find out the dive operator for the other two.

I'm concerned that we'll get out there and everything will be so different, we'll end up not having a good time. I'm willing to put my my fate in the hands of others, so to speak, and trust them to help me out if I ask. But I also know that I am responsible for my buddy and myself.

My question is, is this too much too soon? or is it just a case of newbie jitters?

I'm looking forward to many years of diving both in the water and on this board.

Thanks!!!

That's a tough question, I'm just going to say: welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Hopefully, somebody else can give you a better answer.

I got my 15 yo son his OW cert this past spring and we went on a cruise to St. Thomas, St. Martin and Nassau. We dove with Stuarts Cove in Nassau. This was his first actual ocean dive. I have been diving over 20 years and have over 1000 dives logged. I would classify this dive as a challange for a beginner just because there were 6' seas, mild to moderate current and plenty of large sharks who were more than a little curious when you were at the surface. He did just fine and I give a big thumbs up to Stuarts Cove. We dove St. Thomas and that was for sure a beginner dive. We dove in a protected cove with a million snorkelers. Easy Easy Easy. Like being in a pool. I have taken the cruise lines scuba excursions on many cruises. I've never had a bad experience. Seasoned divers may not enjoy the crowds. But I don't mind becuse I am usually with a beginner family member or friend. My only suggestion is take your own equipment. They all provide the weights and tanks. Have a great time creating memories with your daughter.

I'm going to say, probably not too much too soon, in my opinion.
When we went back in Feb. we found that many (in fact most) of the divers on board were beginners and the dives were planned accordingly. In our group of 3 divers, we all had < 30 dives. The DM's and cruise employees were very good about questioning everyones experience and comfort level. I think that, on the contrary, once you do it you will be asking yourself why you hadn't done it sooner. And some pratice time before you go is an excellent idea, and will help improve your skills and confidence.
Have fun.

If you are interested in reading my trip report from Feb, it is here:
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2902

Go for it. New divers with very little experience will not faze them. You may feel oversupervised, if anything. There are pros and cons about diving with the cruise line (as you may have noticed), however, most respondents seem to note that diving with the cruise line offers a couple benefits for very new divers; namely that arrangements may be made on the boat, confirmed in advance, face to face, etc; and that the boat is unlikely to leave without you - which may not always be the case if you run into difficulty with a local operator who has problems one day.

The advice about taking your own gear is likely pretty good advice.....

have fun with your daughter, and <hint> inexpensive u/w cameras exist to bring back pictures that will sit on your mantel for years to come...

bon voyage.

We did an Eastern Caribbean cruise last Christmas, and I'd really recommend that you dive in St. Thomas and the easy private island one, but avoid St. Maarten. St. Maarten isn't known to be a very good dive site, and they often have less than ideal conditions. You're much better off enjoying the beaches and other fun things to do there IMO.

I'll also recommend strongly that you book in St. Thomas privately. We booked with Blue Island divers and they did a great job with the 2 very beginners (still had paper C-cards) on our boat, as well as with the experienced folks who were diving Nitrox and wanted extra bottom time. They literally pick you up in their boat right in front of where your cruise ship docks, about 15' from where the ship's excursion leaves from. I've also heard that Admiralty Dive Center in St. Thomas is excellent, but I can't say from first hand experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom