Newbie Coz advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HomerJay

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

My wife and I are going to Cozumel in two weeks. We are newly certified, and have never been to Coz. After reviewing some past threads, we have decided on Papa Hogs, and are staying at the Iberostar. There seems to be a huge collective of Coz experience here, so I want to get as much advice as possible. Any must do’s, wish I would have knowns, or stay away froms we should know about? How about the non-diving days. What are your favorite activities above sea-level? Any and all insiders tips about the dive op, resort, et al are greatly appreciated. In return I will post a full and complete trip report upon my return.

Cheers,
HomerJay

Rent a car & head south to Bob Marleys bar. Since you'll be staying at the Iberostar, it won't be such a long drive. I brought my boogie board w/ me to Coz, on my 2nd trip there. I spent almost a whole day riding the waves & drinking in Bob Marleys. I also love the beaches on the east side of the island. No hotels & not alot of people either. Just endless sand, it's beautiful!
You could check out the ruins, San Gervasio, I really enjoyed it. Not as big or impressive as Tulum but very enjoyable, if your into history.
There are 2 lighthouses on the island, one easy to get to, near Bob Marleys & one rather difficult to get to, at the northern tip of the island.
Chankanaab Lagoon Park is a little north of the Iberostar, might be worth a look as well. They offer swims w/ dolphins (for a hefty fee)
There's also a small museum, which you might find interesting. Museo De La Isla De Cozumel. There's a restaurant on the 2nd floor w/ a pretty nice view, as well.

There's alot more than this list, but this is a start. I'm sure everyone who's been to Coz has a favorite thing that they will share.

Check out mezcalitos, its a secluded restraunt on the other side of the island. It was a lot of fun, and has a nude beach, with a sign that is great for taking pictures next to.

You have GOT to get this map...Can-Do Cozumel Map

Laura and her husband, Perry, have made the perfect map! Perry traveled around the island on a bicycle and on the dive boats with a GPS unit in order make an exactly accurate map. Even the reef dive sites are the correct shape!

In reading all the threads, expecially Doc Vikingo's, you'll see us refer to "the corner of Ave. 10 and Calla 5" Not you can see exactly where that is. Virtually every business is located and marked, making it easy to find.

All the tourist attractions are listed as well as all kinds of tips and info about renting cars, the parks, etc.

Ordering is done on the honor system....if you don't like it, send it back. If you do, then may for it. What have you got to lose?

One of the funs things to do on Coz is the Golfito (miniature golf). Located 2 blocks behind the square, under the water tower. You won't find any windmills or clown face traps! What you will find is a very challenging course with some wicked water hazards! When you get your putter, Sally and/or Scott will also give you a walkie-talkie. When you need a refill on your sangria, beer, or whatever....just call and a refill will be brought to you!

There are so many good restaurants, it's hard to recommend just a few. Casa Denis on the Plaza is a great place to people watch and has very good food at good prices. The French Quarter for good cajun and down home american food, Prima Pasta for excellent seafood but both can be pricey. La Parilla on 10th Ave., about 1/2 block off the square is one of my favorites. It's next door to Caballito del Caribe, the dive op I always use.

For shopping, stay away from the waterfront. Most of those shops are catering to the cruise ship crowds and have exhorbitant prices. Get behind the Plaza to the marketplace and the smaller local stores for some great stuff.

Have a great time!

Those maps are killer! Thanks so much for the web site. My whole family is going to Coz in April, 2003 and the maps will make great stocking stuffers.

I just placed my order for the maps. Thanks for the great link.

Does anyone have any recent experiance with the waste management smell and leaky roof situation at the Iberostar? Those seemed to be the biggest gripes, but the complaints have trickled off in the last year. Maybe they dealt with it, and is old news.

Keep the suggestions and advice coming! I am in full vacation planning/pining mode. I am pretty much going to be useless on the job for the next two weeks. My mind is already down there!:D

-HomerJay

I just got back from Cozumel today. It was my first time, so I don't really have any comparitive advice about dive shops or restaurants and hotels, but I will say be prepared to have your bags searched at the Cozumel airport when you leave. When we first got to the airport on our way home, they searched through every bag. Once you drop off your larger bags, you go through their x-rays and metal detectors with your carry-ons. Just before we actually got on the plane, they did random searches of the carry-on luggage. If you've got nothing to hide, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do have something to hide, you best think twice or hide it well. Each of the guards has a different level of how thorough they search. Some check every nook and cranny...some just lift up a couple of items and move you out.

I will say this...we did our dives through Dive With Martin and stayed at the Reef Club and I believe everybody in our group was pleased with the service of both. Some are Cozumel veterans, so that should say something.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom