Newb asking newb questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A comment on wanting to return gear if purchased in haste and not what you wanted.

Some LDS' will sell you the gear. If within a reasonable amount of time (and the item is in like new shape), they will take the item back in exchange for credit towards the item you want.

I did this with my fins. I had a set of Genesis Aquaflex (which I loved), but tried on a set of Scubapro Twin-Jets (that I loved even more). Only problem was that the largest size we were aware of was a LARGE (the catalogue only listed up to size LARGE), which were too small and hurt my feet. Not long after, the supplier accidently sent a set of XL's to the LDS .... I was very fast to scoop them up. LOL!

Check out what your LDS' policy is on trying equipment out, and what their exchange policy is (if any).

I don't know if you wanted this information or not, but I'm happy with all of my equipment .... here's my current gear list:

Mask: Genesis PanView
7mm Hood: Oceaner
Wetsuits: Oceaner & MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-Op)
Drysuit: Oceanic Aerdura
Gloves / Booties: 6.5mm Akona Titanium
Lights: UK D8 Sunlight, UK Q40 - Both are incredibly bright.
Regs: Genesis GS2000 w/DAD 1st Stage, Genesis Octo, Nitrox Viton Kit Installed
Computer: Genesis ReactPro (Nitrox Ready)
BC: Genesis Cobra (non weight-integrated)

There are 3 upgrades that I might make in the near future. If my BC fits my wife when she starts diving, I'll be upgrading to the Genesis Recon. If not, then it's no big deal, I like my vest inflate as it gives real good stability in the water. If and when it ever hits the consumer market, I want the Oceanic HUD/IDDM Computer Mask. And finally, when my drysuit finally kicks the bucket (which I assume will be many years from now), I want to upgrade to the Oceanic BioDry.... however, I'm sure they'll have a new trilam/shell style suit out by then... for now, I love my Aerdura.

Thanks for all the great responses. This board is very helpful. I think I will just wait a while, do some asking around, and mainly try and figure out what type of dives I am going to be doing. I think I will be primarily be doing fresh water dives seeing how I live one mile from one dive site and two miles from another here in Indiana. I do know I will want to try out some ocean diving at some point as well. I will just stick around the forums and do research and rent for a while as I gain experience. I know I will not probably make the 100% satisfaction buy the first time, but I am sure I will be a little closer if I just stick to you advice.

Thank You :wink:

Air82nd:
Thanks for all the great responses. This board is very helpful. I think I will just wait a while, do some asking around, and mainly try and figure out what type of dives I am going to be doing. I think I will be primarily be doing fresh water dives seeing how I live one mile from one dive site and two miles from another here in Indiana. I do know I will want to try out some ocean diving at some point as well. I will just stick around the forums and do research and rent for a while as I gain experience. I know I will not probably make the 100% satisfaction buy the first time, but I am sure I will be a little closer if I just stick to you advice.

Thank You :wink:

Glad to hear it! Let us know how things work out in the end!!

Cheers!

I very much concur with the advice to wait, with one exception. Your MASK. Maybe it's just me (big nose!), but finding a good mask made a lot of difference when I started diving. I knew the frame of visual reference that I would always have, I was comfortable that I wouldn't have flooding problems, I could take care of it in such a way as to minimize fogging, etc.

And although I'm guessing that you have a buzz cut, I highly recommend getting a slapstrap instead of using the rubber straps.

I guess that I would further recommend buying from least to most expensive after that. Snorkel and fins and booties would be next. Hey, guess what, you're good to go for snorkeling with your own equipment!

Take your time on the big stuff.

Two things:

1) I also advocate waiting.

Case 1A: I waited about 8 - 9 months to be sure that I was really going to like diving, and could I get over the anxiety and nausea. Also to look around more and do research before I bought gear. Eventually I decided I was ready and I bought gear. I am now thinking about getting a BP/W also, but I do not regret my initial purchases. I did buy a backup computer, and I replaced my snorkel, but that is about it.

Case 1B: My buddy bought before our first open water class. He felt that it was important to learn on the gear he would dive. However, now that he has 60+ dives, he has replaced most of his initial gear. His Henderson Wetsuit and Apollo Bio-fins are almost the only things remaining from his original purchases. He replaced the regs, mask, BCD (twice - or was it three times?) snorkel, hood, weight system (twice), camera, dive lights etc. Actually he still has the same computer and boots now that I think about it. Would he have been better off to wait? Hard to say, but I think so.

2) I have an Oceanic Computer as my primary and an Aeris (same basically) as my backup. I have been very happy with them both. I especially like the large display on the Oceanic computers. They were the largest display (I think) a couple years ago, but that may not still be true. One thing that my buddy has stuck with from the beginning is his Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus (or whatever it is!) I thought that was more computer than I needed, but he just loves his.

His initial BCD was an Oceanic, and he had a LOT of trouble with the integrated weight system on it. To be fair, Oceanic has changed to a more robust system (IMHO) Also, my buddy was using a LOT of weight, so the problem was not all Oceanic's fault.

I have used a couple pair of their warm water gloves and a snorkel and everything has seemed to be good quality.

Just my input, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

Just another 2 cents worth agreeing with what's already been posted. I agree with the wait too.

Do you know of anybody whom can lend you a computer? Or shops that hire them? It would be a good idea to try out some of the popular models to see what you like / dislike about them. Stuff like the ease of operating the buttons, brightness of the backlight, etc is very personal.

For example just within the Suunto range I found the Gekko much easier to use than the Vyper as the menu on the Gekko is easier to navigate and the fluorescent back is much brighter than the backlight on the Vyper, and I prefer the larger display on both of them over the Mosquito or the D9. So if you could try to borrow a range of computers from buddies, etc and try them out.

Another thing to think about further down the track is your backup. It is NOT SAFE to dive with a sole computer.

1) If the computer is the only instrument you have and it stops working during a dive you're in major trouble s you will have absolutely no info on your depth, time, etc. This is especially the case with air-integrated computers (you then won't even know how much air is left). If you were going to dive with a single computer, make sure you also carry analogue gauges + a timepiece.

2) If you were diving with a commercial operator and your computer breaks during a dive, they might require you to show that your dive profile is within the tabulated values (whether PADI, SSI, etc). You can be banned from diving for 24hrs if your profile exceeded the table, which is extremely likely if the dive was multi-level. This happened to someone on a liveaboard I was on last year and I can tell you they weren't happy.

Most people keep their initial computer and buy an additional one as their second further down the track. So if you didn't like your first computer you faced with either getting a completely different new computer, which will run on a different algorithm and spits out different info, or you'll have to fork out extra money to buy 2 new computers.

Hope this helps .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom