Newb asking newb questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air82nd

New
Reaction score
I am currently new to the scene and getting my open water certification. I no I should probably wait until after my first dive to start purchasing equipment but I am getting the must buy jitters.

I was wondering how oceanic and aqualung equipment stacked up compared to the rest. I have not really noticed a whole lot of conversation covering there equipment. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on their equipment. I purchased the neo 3 goggles by oceanic because of the open panoramic view. I am looking to get a regulator, bcd, and computer next. Is it wise to stay with one brand accross the board or should I mix things up. I here Zeagle has good equipment.

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for the newb dialogue

All of those companies make fine gear.

However, I will advise you to wait. Get certified, make sure this is something that you really want to do. It'd really suck to buy a pile of gear, finish the class and decide that you really don't like diving. Very expensive mistake.

Besides, you'll make better purchasing decisions if you wait a bit, learn more about diving, and make some informed decisions as to what gear truly suits the direction you're headed.

For example: If you have an interest in cave diving, it makes sense to buy gear that will be useful to you for that purpose. A lot of divers buy basic rec gear, a jacket BC, single AL 80 tank, etc, then a few months later go "Oooohhh! CAVE DIVING!!!" and go sign up for a class. Then they learn that they need a backplate & wings, double steel tanks, etc.

A whole lot cheaper for them if they'd figured that out 3 months ago & just bought a BP&W to start with, which will work fine for recreational diving.

Air82nd:
I am currently new to the scene and getting my open water certification. I no I should probably wait until after my first dive to start purchasing equipment but I am getting the must buy jitters.

I was wondering how oceanic and aqualung equipment stacked up compared to the rest. I have not really noticed a whole lot of conversation covering there equipment. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on their equipment. I purchased the neo 3 goggles by oceanic because of the open panoramic view. I am looking to get a regulator, bcd, and computer next. Is it wise to stay with one brand accross the board or should I mix things up. I here Zeagle has good equipment.

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for the newb dialogue

In my other life and spare time I work as a Divemaster. I see students that buy things that they don't need. After they're diving a little while and talking with veteran divers they find something different that they want.

Look at all the gear and ask questions. Get through the class and make sure that diving is really for you. You don't want to have to wind up buying gear two or three times.

As an example do you like back inflation better than a jacket or how about a backplate and wing? Do you like solid fins better than splilt fins? Which regulator breathes better for you and what dive computer screen can you read the best under the water?

Your LDS or the internet will be there when you make up your mind.

Air82nd:
I was wondering how oceanic and aqualung equipment stacked up compared to the rest. I have not really noticed a whole lot of conversation covering there equipment. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on their equipment.

First, welcome aboard and congrats on making the move to get certified!

I have no experience with Aqualung, but know they've been around a long time and have heard they make a good product.

I do have experience with Oceanic and use a few of their products... I am very happy with their products.

I use mainly Genesis products, and am extremely happy with their equipment and service as well.

Zeagle is also a good brand, my buddy uses their products and is extremely satisfied.

My suggestion to you would be, buy what your LDS of choice has in stock so that it's easily serviced, buy within your budget, and buy what you are comfortable with using. Make sure you try everything out before you buy it... nothing worse than buying something only wanting to replace it a year later.

I bought my gear during class back when I got certified, and got it for a good deal, as it motivated others in my class to purchase. Mind you, I'm a keener and did a bunch of research on the gear and knew that I wanted to dive 100%.

:thumbs-up

As far as buying the same brand, there's no reason to use the same brand for everything. As long as you can get things serviced you're good. Some companies are noted for certain types of gear, or you may simply like different things made by different companies.

I would also advise a little patience before you rush out and spend a lot of money. A complete set of dive gear is not cheap. I would rent for a while, try out a few options, ask your instructors what's good, check around scubaboard and hopefully as you become a little more experienced you'll have a better idea of what is going to work for you.

Like you, I initially got that burning feeling in my wallet and rushed out and purchased some of my gear. Half of my initial purchases went back. Ask around, someone may have a second hand dive computer for sale that will save you a few hundred bucks. I paid $75 for my Suunto dive computer and it works great. Also, wait for Sales - I saved nearly $200 by buying my Balance when SportChalet were having their twice yearly Sale.

Good luck with the certification, and don't worry you'll soon be spending lots of money on this sport!

Grey_Wulff

I purchased all my gear after my first class cause I was soooo hooked. Now Im trying to dig up the money to get the things I really want :( All I have managed to replace so far are my fins and every day I look longingly at the stuff I now know I would prefer. Did I mention how much I love my new jet fins? Yes Im shameless!

On the other hand, if you buy now you can take your training in YOUR gear, and learn all your basic skills with the gear you will be diving. Most likely, your dive shop will be making discounts available for new divers.

I still use all the gear I bought before I was certified 15+ years ago, 'cept for the wetsuit which I outgrew when I became too muscular to fit into it. :wink: Most of the initial gear purchases were used as primary equipment for many many years, and all of it sees occasional use now as back-up, spares, and pool gear.

I believe way too much is made of trying to make the "perfect" purchase initially rather than just buying some good quality basic gear and then learning to be a very good diver while using it.

Have fun diving,
theskull

Hey the diver that got the $75.00 suunto hit it on the head,dont go out and buy the most $$$ buy smart,get a basic computer at a good price if you buy used know what year it is,some divers sell good stuff for more than 1/2 off! do you plan to do NITROX well then you need a computer that will do it.
BCDs tons of styles,jacket,back plate and so on,so start out with a rental,dont just go buy one DM or dive guys point talk to other local divers in your area and get the feel for the dives you plan,
I dive cold water 8 months of year,the the rest I dive in Florida,I have a wet suit for Florida,and a travel BCD,My cold water regs do fine,but hate to run them in salt,so I have a set for that,I have over the years tuned and re-tuned my set up,some stuff I got when I first started to dive I wish I did not!
So just my 2-cents start out with the basics,prior to any buy-shop price & service=this will be found at a GOOD LDS!!!!,shop the dive store's, and yes even check out on line-Ebay may be good if you know the item ,but even the pros end up with some ones JUNK!
Good luck,slow down!
Brad

Brand mixing doesn't really matter as long as it's all good stuff.

As for my gear, I have:
BC-
Seaquest Pro QD+ 25th Anniversary Ed. = too bulky, and too small for me
Deep Sea Supply backplate & wing = just right :D

Regs-
AquaLung Micra ADJ with some kind of Mares backup reg = Nice, but the hose routing sucks for the long hose. I'd trade it for an Apeks in a second.

Computer-
Tusa IQ-800 = real nice, very small but with a huge screen, has N2 and O2 bars that actually tell you something, as opposed to the:
Suunto Favor = sucks. I can't make the contacts work, although nothings wrong with t since most others can.

Fins-
Mares Avanti Quattro w/ spring straps = awesome, great power and very comfy with spring straps
Tusa Cetus = nice, very comfy, and nice and stiff, but too short for strong currents, and they're 'handed' so you look like an idiot if you don't put them on the right feet, although they seem to swim the same.

Mask-
Mares X-Vision = awesome, great visibility, and very light

Light-
Pelican Nemo 8C = Pretty good, although a little dim for the 42.7# of batteries in it
Ikelite PCa = awesome; the hotspot is almost as bright as the Nemo, just a smaller beam. However I no longer have this so I'm looking for a replacement

Hmm...I guess that's all I've got.

Back
Top Bottom