New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
:shocked:

i was speaking to hubby about a NZ trip but the idea of cold water puts us off so we were thinking a return trip to Niue... we get to use NZ dollars there and there arent so many sheep :)
It's not that cold here. Besides the diving is better here than Niue. Honestly

you wouldnt be lying to me would you Azza :huh:

so you can offer warm water, whales, sea snakes and lots and lots of beaut weather??

Azza:
Errr maybe....
Actually have just done a few dives in there the other week. I am doing my mates AOW and Nitrox for him and he wanted to do some of the dives in the lake to save on boat fees. I forgot how boring it is...

Or maybe not, eh? The lake's not that bad, really.... there's, uh, lots of interesting archealogical history (the rusty water pipe) and the caves..... and.... uh.... and....

almitywife:
so you can offer warm water, whales, sea snakes and lots and lots of beaut weather??

You have to kinda define cold and warm. My better half was concerned about diving here in winter, but managed to get her out yesterday at the Poor Knights. Viz was a good 30m+, even on an overcast day. Water has cooled off a bit, but still 18 degC - despite concerns about going diving with a bunch of drysuit divers, she was fine doing both dives in a wetsuit and had an awesome time. Didn't have any whales or sea snakes - but lots of other very cool stuff...

define cold and warm you ask :D

hmmm - warm is 25decC+ where i get to wear my aeroskin and cold is anything below 20decC where i have to wear a 5mm :D

im such a warm water wuss i told hubby gotta get a drysuit for next year - its embarrassing

AndyNZ:
Or maybe not, eh? The lake's not that bad, really.... there's, uh, lots of interesting archealogical history (the rusty water pipe) and the caves..... and.... uh.... and....
Yeah. Great site.

Luckily for me I have only ever done about 8 dives in there. Where abouts are these caves you speak of? I have another few dives to do in there yet and might as well check them out for want of something better to see

almitywife:
you wouldnt be lying to me would you Azza :huh:

Me? Lie to you? No way...
Can do whales (see them just about daily), no snakes but heaps of you beaut weather. The diving here is so diverse. I have only been to the tropics once and found the reef diving rather average over there. But every dive here I see something different

AHHH the tropics... warm water... we go every year!

i think you 2 guys should have a SB NZ get together!

we had a aussie one on Friday night over a few "big bloke drafts" at the Outback :)

almitywife:
hmmm - warm is 25decC+ where i get to wear my aeroskin and cold is anything below 20decC where i have to wear a 5mm

Come in summer or early autumn, you'll have a great time. Water will typically be 22 degC, maybe warmer... I've dived in 24 degC at the Knights before. No snakes (aren't they poisonous?!) but loads of variety in terms of life, from the fish to the minutae of the encrusting life. As Azza says, something new on every dive....

Azza:
Luckily for me I have only ever done about 8 dives in there. Where abouts are these caves you speak of? I have another few dives to do in there yet and might as well check them out for want of something better to see

Hmmmm, probably pushing around 80 dives in the lake, now... jeez, I need to get out more. :wink:

Can't believe that you've never been to the caves, though! They're high on the list of places to go and show.... though don't expect too much if you do go to find them, there's just a bit of topography as opposed to flat silt. The "caves" are more shallow overhangs than anything else - but a good place to spot some eels, particularly at night.

The foolsafe way to find them is from the bouy (at the pumphouse) head towards shore until you hit the weedline. Follow it left until you reach a big pointy rock, shaped a bit like the Matterhorn. Do a 90 degree turn left until at about 14m depth there's a few boulders on your right - turn along the base of these to find the caves.

AndyNZ:
Hmmmm, probably pushing around 80 dives in the lake, now... jeez, I need to get out more. :wink:
Aye Carumbe. Yes you do need to get out more mate. Mind you at the rate my mate is going I will soon catch up to you...

AndyNZ:
Can't believe that you've never been to the caves, though! They're high on the list of places to go and show.... though don't expect too much if you do go to find them, there's just a bit of topography as opposed to flat silt. The "caves" are more shallow overhangs than anything else - but a good place to spot some eels, particularly at night.

The foolsafe way to find them is from the bouy (at the pumphouse) head towards shore until you hit the weedline. Follow it left until you reach a big pointy rock, shaped a bit like the Matterhorn. Do a 90 degree turn left until at about 14m depth there's a few boulders on your right - turn along the base of these to find the caves.

Ahh yes. I know what you are talking about. I have been there.
I did hear a rumour about some "extensive" caves hanging around the 40 metre mark somewhere in the lake. I thought you were referring to these...
Thanks for the info tho...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom