New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I just pass my first diving test recently and am planning on a family vacation to New Zealand. And I could fit in a day of diving into my schedule.

It seems to me that Bay of Island is a popular place. However, since this is the first time I'm going to be there, I'm wondering if any of you could offer anyhelp in my planning. For instance, what kind of day trips are offered? Where could I join them? Cost?

Also, would it be a good idea to bring my own equipment (I have suit & mask) or shall I rent them?

Also, what could my family could do to kill time while I go diving?

Thanks in advance. Any other suggestions/advise on other issues would be mostly appreciated.

Choco

The best place to dive in NZ (at least most people seem to agree on that) would be the Poor Knights Islands, off the coast of Whangarei, Northland (still south of the bay of Islands). I only had time to do two dives, but they were amazing.
Dive!Tutukaka is a very professional operator in Tutukaka (near Whangarei, and they pick up from accomodation there), their rental equipment is pretty good.
As to what your family could do while you dive... well, it's only a day anyway. It's actually quite a nice boat trip out to the islands, so you could always ask and see if they could come along just for the ride.

Is the water really cold? I would assue that it is cold, is it all dry suit diving or do people dive wet?

blackice once bubbled...
Is the water really cold? I would assue that it is cold, is it all dry suit diving or do people dive wet?
Depends.. we got sissies like me who dive drysuit in anything under 30C, and some brave men (and women), who consider anything that is still fluid diveable in a wetsuit.
In general though, around Poor Knights you would have temperatures between 18-25 C.
Regards,
Vlad

I dived there in winter (August) and we were still using wetsuits (7mm 2-piece, hoods). Water was about 16-17°. Apparently there is some sort of warm(ish) current there, which makes it warmer than of the other sites in the same region, e.g. the Rainbow Warrier Wreck.

If you are comming to wellington take the family with you and have a shore dive at Ohiora Bay, 10 minutets from the city center, you can visit 3 wrecks on one tank of air. there is a dive shop within a few minutes of the site if you need gear.In fact if you are comming to Wellington give me a call on 049047229 or 021474337 and i"ll help you all I can.jollian.

jollian:
If you are comming to wellington take the family with you and have a shore dive at Ohiora Bay, 10 minutets from the city center, you can visit 3 wrecks on one tank of air. there is a dive shop within a few minutes of the site if you need gear.In fact if you are comming to Wellington give me a call on 049047229 or 021474337 and i"ll help you all I can.jollian.
Ahh you would be talking about the Yung Pen, The cypress, the progress and the "old" wellington?
Great dive Owhiro bay. I used to go every week when I lived in Wellington. I miss Wellington

Azza:
Three year old thread. Hate that
:lol:

well you are in NZ... those bell-bottoms and fluro tees you got will make a comeback one day also :D

but - i was only saying to hubby 2 nights ago we should go to NZ one day

almitywife:
:lol:

well you are in NZ... those bell-bottoms and fluro tees you got will make a comeback one day also :D

but - i was only saying to hubby 2 nights ago we should go to NZ one day

You should, it's only just over the ditch and your currency is stronger than ours so your dollar goes further.:D

Let me know if you do come over...we can go for a dive or two

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom