New York Bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I would share this with everyone as a friend of mine sent it to me in email.

It is time for everyone to start rallying and not just sit back.....

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.
America: The Good Neighbor.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given
recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from
Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television
commentator. What follows is the full text of his
trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional

Record:
"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the
Americans as the most generous and possibly the least
appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and
Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the
Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
forgave other billions in debts. None of these
countries is today paying even the interest on its
remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956,
it was the Americans who propped it up, and their
reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets
of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59
American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped
billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now
newspapers in those countries are writing about the
decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that
is gloating over the erosion of the United States
dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country
in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo
Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the
International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting
a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
technocracy, and you get automobiles.
You talk about American technocracy, and you find
men on the moon - not once, but several times -
and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs
right in the store window for everybody to look at .
Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.
They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless
they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American
dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India
were breaking down through age, it was the Americans
who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced
to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name
me even one time when someone else raced to the
Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside
help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating
over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of
those."

Stand proud, America! Wear it proudly!!

This is one of the best editorials that I have ever
read regarding the United States. It is nice that
one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the
world would realize it. We are always blamed for
everything, and never even get a thank you for the
things we do.

I would hope that each of you would send this to
as many people as you can and emphasize that they
should send it to as many of their friends until this
letter is sent to every person on the web. I am just a
single American that has read this, I SURE HOPE
THAT A LOT MORE READ IT SOON.

I've read all the posts on this thread...and I like the rest of U.S. citizens am shocked, amazed, sad, angry and all the other emotions expressed here. I personally feel violated! I thank those from Canada and Isreal for their words of comfort and encouragement. It means a lot to know that others stand with us in this time of hurt. There is one other emotion I want to express. It is pride....I'm so very proud to be an American. Yes, America has made it's share of mistakes, but American has done so many things right. We give aid to other countries, we welcome those seeking freedom to our shores, etc. As a little girl growing up in a ruual southern state, I was always proud that I lived in America (I was the one with tears in her eyes everytime I heard the National Anthem sung). I am so very proud of the way that we as a nation, as one people are responding to the horrible action taken against this wonderful country. My heart goes out to all those that have lost loved ones and friends in this awful tragedy. I pray for comfort and peace to be theirs and a complete healing of thier hurt. And I pray for our Nation's leaders, that they will have wisdom and strength of purpose as they make the difficult decisions that must be made. And I pray for us a nation that we truly become "One Nation under God". I pray that out of the ashes and pain and ruin these indescribable acts have caused, that we as a people will be united as never before to become an even stronger nation standing firm in our defense of Liberty and Freedom for all. God Bless America.

~lildiver

In the PA crash, and that it what the news is still calling it. The parents of a passenger stated about their son. "He is the type of person that would do whatever it took to prevent the loss of life."

We can only speculate on the cause of the crash, was it the military or was it the passengers and crew? All I know for sure and am glad that the loss of life was that of the plane and not anyone on the ground. In the future as this "War against Terrorism" continues that the loss of innocent life is minimal and the D*(( B$&*@$& that planned this attack pay with no less than their own life.

And those of the military I salute you in this time of alert may your training save your lives and those of your fellow beings, and take those lives of the creatures that you fight against.

I wish I could find the message icon where the little face is crying because that's what I've been doing...and for people I don't even know! But, I think this is just such an unbelievable tragedy. It just makes me sad to think that there are actually people out there who are this crazy, senseless and evil...including those TRULY crazy people celebrating in the streets :( ....grrrrrr!!!!!
My thoughts and prayers are with those of you with family and friends in NYC and Washington...thank goodness mine are ok, but I think at this point, every soul lost in this has become a personal tragedy. Like others, I wish I could be diving in the peaceful (usually!) underwater world to escape the realities of the world :(. But...we need to stick together to end this type of violence :).

Syruss and all Americans,

My condolences to everyone affected by the terrible tragedy yesterday.

Syruss, I share your anger regarding the horrible and cowardly terrorist attack yesterday. But, I don't agree with your sentiment of alienating the United States from the rest of the world is the right thing to do right now. Most of the countries that you have mentioned in your post have pledged large amounts of support and aid (either financialy in manpower) to the United States. Moreover, (last I have heard) Israel, GB and Germany have put their military on alert in preparation to support the U.S, during its counter attack.

The WTC housed companies from many countries. Thousands of businessmen and tourists from Europe and Asia were affected by the attack as well (injured, killed and missing). NO ONE in the civilized world considers this "just an American problem".

Remember Americans, you have many friends.

Earlier this morning (for the first time in my life) I donated blood. It's not near as bad as my imagination led me to believe...however, best drink that OJ right after! Yesterday a friend of mine (she lives in Connecticut & works in Manhattan) told me; “I appreciate the prayers and thoughts from everyone however Dweeb, you should put your actions where your prayers are and donate some blood!” I'd like to offer a challenge to the great people of the boards – We’re people of action! Let’s see how many of us can donate blood and show our great country that our prayers are with the people that suffered as well as our actions! What do you say?

I have a question for all: Donating blood is a good and noble act. However, not everyone's blood is welcome (mine!). I'm afraid there are more victums who are past the stage where blood will help, anyway. The question is:
By donating money to the Red Cross, how are the victums or their families helped? I mean in what sort of material way?

becky

Mario, it isn't much and it been said before but you are in my thoughts and you have my condolences.

I know that it seems trite, but these men and women went to help people that they didn't know because it was their duty and their passion. Please remember them with pride. Like the good book says (not like I'm the greatest church goer...); "Greater Love hath no man, that he lay down his life for another."

If you've noticed from my other posts, I have a soft spot for EMS personnel, Cops, and Firefighters. Bravest folks I've ever had the honour to work and train with. Loosing even one is too many.

My prayers are also with all those effected and the rescue workers (especially those that lost their lives trying to help others)that are giving there all to help those in need.

Let us also remember the Military personnel who are working to protect us. Many of my friends are in the reserves and their lives are on hold as they are currently on call waiting for any need to go to work in either a rescue effort or any military action. Thank you for all of you who are ready at the drop of a hat (both active and reserve and rescue workers) to respond when you are needed.

My prayers are with you.

Chad

ps As I have read the post from members of this board from other countries I was deeply moved at the support for the effected people from people elsewhere. I can honestly say that this attack is the first time as an adult that I have been moved to tears. Reading your post of support has done that to me agian.

Hi Sea Nmf,

The question is: By donating money to the Red Cross, how are the victums or their families helped? I mean in what sort of material way?

Monetary donations to the Red Cross will be put to use in a variety of ways. Some will be used to help feed, cloth and shelter the people who lived near the disaster area, who's homes were damaged or destroyed. It will also be put to use to help the rescue workers that are coming in from all over the place; once again, food and shelter. I believe some of it is also used to provide assistance in coordinating "reunion centers" and other means of finding out information about loved ones you have not been able to get in touch with.

There are also numerous other ways that the Red Cross helps out behind the scenes. These folks have been coordinating relief efforts of this kind for a long time. They have a reputation for efficiently and effectively putting there resources to work where they are most needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom