New Year's Day Dive - Augusta GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
We are diving N. Augusta Boat Landing (near Riverview Park) at 10a on New Year's Day. It is a shallow dive so we are hoping for minimal wetsuit compression. Water temp in the river is 46 degrees. We dove the lake today and had great vis shallow and improving vis deep - Vis 6-15'. Water temp was 48. Dive time was 50 min. with a max depth of 81'.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Y'all ain't right. :D

:D :D :D :D :D

I may have to drive over that way sometime to see how crazy y'all really are.

Yes, we are a bit "Off the Grid", but we truly enjoy local diving year round. Our diving is Georgia's best kept secret. We are very fortunate in Augusta as far as diving goes. We have several great river dives (expecting 15' vis tomorrow in the river) and a nice lake dive (with an airplane, ski boat, and sort of a wall) - all within 15-20 min of my house. Winter is not as comfortable as summer, but we dress for the occasion (sort of, still diving wet - 7mm everything). Still we have a great time and dive local pretty much every week when we aren't getting nasty warm salt water on our gear.:D

That's great. I'm waiting to see if Dive Haven will reopen. Maybe I'll take a trip up to Lock Low-Minn in TN come Spring. I'm just itching to get wet somewhere other than the LDS pool. Don't have a 7mm suit, so I'll have to wait or caught up a bunch of $$$

Nice dive today. Vis 10-12'. Water temps 48 degrees. 55 min dive. The N.Augusta Boat landing offers and interesting bottom contour. IT is in the fall line of the river. Large boulders and sheets and mounds of rock. Large carp and a few cats today. Divinign again tomorrow at 11:30a - wither the railroad tressle or the lake depending on how much rain we get (more rain=lake)

That's great. I'm waiting to see if Dive Haven will reopen. Maybe I'll take a trip up to Lock Low-Minn in TN come Spring. I'm just itching to get wet somewhere other than the LDS pool. Don't have a 7mm suit, so I'll have to wait or caught up a bunch of $$$

My 2 cents - if you live in GA or the Carolinas, you really need two suits: a good 3mm for the tropics and SE Florida and a 7mm fullsuit (or a 2 piece) or better yet an 8/7 semidry for local diving. I dive a 7mm for local diving year round. 5mm are a waste in my opinion - not enough for local much of the year and a bit much for tropics.

My 2 cents - if you live in GA or the Carolinas, you really need two suits: a good 3mm for the tropics and SE Florida and a 7mm fullsuit (or a 2 piece) or better yet an 8/7 semidry for local diving. I dive a 7mm for local diving year round. 5mm are a waste in my opinion - not enough for local much of the year and a bit much for tropics.

I appreciate the advice. I've been looking and your input is helpful. How much weight do you carry? I just acquired a SS BP (5lb), so I'm trying to determine a starting point for weight pockets to use with a 7mm. The semidry is a little pricey at this point. I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs. Thanks.

In a 7mm fullsuit (one piece) with hood and gloves you will likely not need any weight diving steel tanks or maybe 4 lbs diving AL tanks. I'm currently in an 8/7 semidry fullsuit diving steel 100s w/o any additional weight with my SS BP/W. I'm 6' and a bit more over 200 than I want to be. I use my weight pockets for my safety sausage, finger spool, back up light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom