New wreck coming to Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is... although more like 250 yards or so... I'd say about 1/3 of the way to the Lady Dufferin.

Here are a couple of charts for you.. the first one for perspective, the second showing approximate location.

View attachment 483003

View attachment 483005

Does anyone know the distance from little cove beach to each wreck? I’m curious for my scooter range with some margin of error in case I miss it

Looks like about a kilometer by the time you follow the shore to the line, then across. The bigger issue is likely getting down the road!
Screenshot_2018-10-17 Navionics ChartViewer copy.jpg

that is not an issue with AWD suv!
I suppose not, depending on the vehicle. I took my 4Runner down there in the spring. It was fine, but I used low range and crawled. If the road wasn't ever graded, it'll be knarly, and possibly grown in a fair bit.

If you're driving a Honda CRV, you're going to be leaving parts of it behind.

I'm up there later next week, so I'll try to have a look.

I haven't posted any updates on this for a while, so just to catch you up...

You will recall that there was a lawsuit between the "Friends" and the Municipality. It was settled out of court, with the taxpayers forking out a modest settlement to the Friends. Beyond that, the suit settled nothing.

The future of the Norisle became an issue during the last municipal elections. Two of the reconstruction plans' biggest fans ran for election and won. So now the Mayor and one of the Councillors are fans of rebuilding this ship and launching her as a cruise ship. (Basically the same plan that they began to work on years ago, which fell flat on its face.) In the article I've linked below, the new Mayor suggests that a shipyard has great interest in working on this project. Of course they do... there's millions of dollars of business there for them. (I'm pretty sure they aren't proposing to donate their time!) And they are still talking about the revenue this plan will generate for the township, even though there is no allowance in this cruise-ship plan to even put that village on it's route.

If you read the article, there are a couple of points that stand out. First, the author of the new report and those that asked the report be prepared, are all members of the "save the boat" group... so a complete conflict of interest.

The article mentions that absolutely nothing has happened with this restoration plan for years... the group hasn't even had a meeting. Basically it's become the pipe-dream of a small number of people, some of whom have now won a position on the township council, also a massive conflict. They really should abstain from any votes on this project/problem.

Anyway, it seems like we're back in a wait and see mode. My fear continues to be that she'll continue to rust away at the dock until she sinks. If that happens, there won't be any alternative but to bring in the wreckers to cut her up.

S.S. Norisle may be saved from scuttling

sad , that its going to end like this

sad , that its going to end like this

Oh it ain't over 'til it's over. At some point, the group is going to need to raise millions of dollars to get that project rolling and I suspect that that will be a problem.

It's unfortunate, because it would be pretty cool to rebuild her, but it just isn't practical I don't think.

Stoo you are absolutley correct. The costs associated with repowering and retrofitting this vessel would be astronomical. The tow to the sturgeon bay ship yard alone would be north of 250k the basic architecture of this vessel won't satisfy the current marine safety standards. That's right the bones of the ship would have to be redesigned and replaced. How would you intagrate modern fire suppression, passenger egress equipment into such an old package.

This can quickly turn into a 100 million dollar project.

And then how do you pay down a hundred million dollar debt and the 5 million dollar operating expenses well carring 100 passengers on 5 day cruises over a 3 month season.

Shake my f#$#n head

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom