New waterproof zipper testing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyIGH

Dive professional
Reaction score
We had lots of interest in this on our Facebook page so I thought I would post it here. We have a new waterproof zipper testing device. You can view the video on Youtube DUI's Waterproof Zipper Testing Device - YouTube

As I mentioned in an earlier thread not even the zipper manufacturers have this type of device. We will be using it to test all types of waterproof zippers. We will post the test results when they are available.

Thank you.

Kathy

So is that intended to test one zipper out of a batch or one from each manufacturer, or any zip that suspect has a leak in it?

That is a nice move towards objective data collection.

That pneumatic cylinder will be come erratic over time and you may want to upgrade to a linear servo actuator. You can see that it's already working hard. Otherwise the data may suffer.

That sort of nice flat pull in clean conditions may be favorable to real life but that's OK. You can do sets of N=100 and test to failure. If that's not enough to differentiate just lower N.

Test a sample from say 3 different manufacturing lots and you have the basis for a validation.

Do the same across potential suppliers and you have a basis for a choice.

Establish a sampling plan of the long term supply and you have SPC or at least a control chart.

What is being used to detect for leaks? Pressure, spray and human observation or is a commercial pressure decay tester interfaced?

If it's a decay tester then it would be easy to automate it with a PLC if it does not already have one and make it a lights out tester showing the start of seepage and progression to a defined failure and spitting out a report.

Consumer reports would be proud of you!

Pete

How many zippers are you testing? I didn't know there were enough makes/models out there to need such a device, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.

One potential problem is the zipper does not bend in the tester. When zippers start to wear out they may be dry in one position and leak in another.

My waterproof zipper testing device is called the Ocean. That didn't sell very well though so I renamed it "Saltchuk 3.0". You have to start with version 3 though because people who have Microsoft products won't buy version 1 or 2.

I've sold dozens already. It's a canning jar full of salt water and directions to the nearest dive-site :)

j/k.

I'm actually amazed that drysuit makers don't have something like this already... which kind of begs the question, if they don't already have one, do they need one?

R..

Back
Top Bottom