New Veo 180 comes with Windows-only software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody is 'dissing Macs", we're just saying Apple doesn't command enough market share for many software developers to write code for it.

I disagree that the Mac doesn't command enough market share to make writing software worthwhile. It's an obvious trend over the last 5 years or so that more and more companies are creating Mac-compatible software. There is only one reason that would be true in free enterprise: adding to the bottom-line profit.

As reefduffer pointed out, there is Mac-compatible dive-software out there. BTW, thanks a million! :D It doesn't work with the Oceanic I just got, but my solution is simple: return the Oceanic and get one of the many out there that does work with it.

suggested that the others instead of complaining (3-6 times annually) about the lack of Mac code for Oceanlog [use Windows].
I've paraphrased how I interpreted your sentence; I apologize if I've misinterpreted it. For the record, I've only complained once, and if I owned a PC there would be a whole lot more complaining going on.
As for virus attacks, the number of attacks on Macs has risen over the years and I expect that will be a continuing trend.
No doubt, as the Mac has gotten more popular, so have virus attacks on it, though in the 75 months I have been a Mac user I have suffered zero. :wink:
As for ease of use of the OP sys well maybe you got me there but I'm on Windows 7 now and to tell the truth it is a quite a improved system.
My point exactly: IMO it's taken Windows at least 6 years to somewhat catch up to the ease of use that I've always known with the Mac. Although it took a few weeks to get used to, moving from PC to Mac is much easier than vice-versa. Even on Windows 7 I find it difficult, if not impossible, to do what I want.

Of course Windows will be better for some people and Mac will be better for some people and there is nothing wrong with that. What I do find unfortunate is that many people will never know how much easier their life could be because they just remain with the status quo (my mom comes to mind).

And with that, I'm done evangelizing and I'll try to stay out of this thread.

As reefduffer pointed out, there is Mac-compatible dive-software out there. BTW, thanks a million! :D It doesn't work with the Oceanic I just got, but my solution is simple: return the Oceanic and get one of the many out there that does work with it.

About three weeks after I responded to you above, t0w posted in the referenced thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app-6.html post #297, 12/28/09, that he has completed initial development on support for several new Pelagic models, including the Veo 180nx, which I think is what you have. It will be available in the next release, not specified, but from past history, I'd guess a month or two at most. You could ask him if the timing would affect your dive computer decision.

If you'd really prefer something else, fine, don't let me get in the way of your upgrading your kit :cool2:. But if you like the veo 180 otherwise and s/w support is the sticking point, a fix appears right around the corner.

As to the OS religious war this thread turned into, I'm going to keep biting my tongue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom