New UTD rig, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm failing to see the problem that this "solution" is fixing. Kinda seems like it's creating more problems...

I've never had problems inflating my wing while staying horizontal, so I'm not sure why this is supposedly advantageous for doing so. I'm also curious if the inflator is long enough to orally inflate if needed (and if it is, doesn't that pose an entanglement hazard??).

I agree that it's odd that it's being done only on the singles wing and not the doubles wing....I thought the beauty of this system of diving was that you don't ever have to change your entire rig (and the muscle memory you've developed with it) to go to doing bigger dives.

Meh, not my cup of tea...

Meh, I fail to see exactly what problem it is solving, and don't foresee any occasion where having the inflator on the left bottom of the wing and the dump on the right bottom (and also top-mounted) would benefit me. Personally I see having a dump valve on top of the wing as being a failure point that I can't effectively mitigate as well as one mounted below the wing.

Oh yeah, and it's not DIR :wink:

Peace,
Greg

Will this rig be acceptable for my GUE Fundamentals class?

Will this rig be acceptable for my GUE Fundamentals class?

You're in So. Cal., so I'm assuming you're with either Karim or Steve. You should call and ask them before purchasing anything but I'd bet money that neither of them ... or any GUE Instructor for that matter would say no to that request.

I'm not sure it puts the inflator assembly where it's more susceptible to damage -- what's more exposed than coming off the middle of the top of the wing?

When you aren't in the water (i.e. when the rig is sitting down), you're much more likely to damage it on the bottom than on the top.

In the water... I imagine I'd hit my head or a post before hitting the top-center inflator joint.

John and others

First of all, I am glad to see all the chatter back and fourth about the new Delta System. It is definitely exciting to have something new on the market for people to talk about. Let me assure you we have done months and months of extensive testing on the system including all the required "Essentials" skills, including the rescue skills, to ensure that this new Delta System and specifically the Delta Trim Device works for single tank divers who are looking to take a UTD Essentials class or something similar. UTD has a very active R&D team, that has being using and testing this system and putting it through it paces.

UTD, and all members involved with the development of this product, have tested this Delta System thoroughly and we sincerely put our name and reputation behind it. The Delta Trim Device is truly a phenomenal improvement over the standard back mount single tank wings. There is so much more to this new system than "where the LP hose is." The reality is that this trim device really does put the majority of the lift exactly where you need it as a single tank diver. It absolutely helps give the diver the perfect prone position trim that we are looking for, and without the consequence of excess wing flapping around or taco'ing, which in turn allows air to shift in the cell or worse yet creates excessive drag.

The LP dump on the left side works perfectly, and it dumps air from the air cell in both the vertical and horizontal positions. We tested it descending vertically, which of course we don't want to do, and horizontally and even head down and kicking kicking. It works great and the best of all we don't need a "Bungee" system to do it. It is a clean wing and profile when swimming with it deflated. We also moved the LP elbow off the top center of the wing and back to left side to accommodate deflation while staying in the horizontal flat swimming position - that we learned from our side mount configuration. We found it convenient because now you can dump from the left side without having to reach back behind your body to access the OPV. If you have the light in your left hand you have two choices, either reach back with the light remaining in the left hand - taking the light away from your buddy in front of you OR switching the light to the right hand so the light can stay pointing forward and reaching back with your left hand. In either case the Delta Trim Device makes this process much much easier and hassle free. Now by moving the LP dump to the left rear side that means we could now put the OPV on the right side, finally giving you the ability to have right handed access to dump if for some reason your left hand was occupied such as in a rescue scenario.

When on the surface we found it to lift you well above the water line, as the majority of the lift is below the water line and with no affect of throwing you forward or on your face. It was well balanced and easy to maintain a vertical upright posture while waiting for a boat pickup. And yes you can dump gas fast even when vertical. We tested this scootering, we tested this swimming, standing on our head, upside down, right side up, you name it we did it. The Delta Trim Device really was a great improvement over the traditional single tank wing.

Once again I do thank all for taking the time to see the video blog, look at the images, read the information and if you have any question please feel free to email me at ag@unifiedteamdiving. com

Andrew Georgitsis
CEO UTD International LLC

Thanks for chiming in Andrew.

Re: There is so much more to this new system than "where the LP hose is."

I don't suspect moving these things around is much of an issue functionally. I have had my mind elsewhere while gearing up and put my wing on backwards a few times (i.e. rear dump on the right). Once I figured out what I'd done (reaching back and thinking where the f is the dump?), I laughed a little and made the adjustment. Works fine.

My larger question is how this fits within the confines of UTD's approach to consistency of equipment and training.

http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/utds-10-covenants:
5. Consistent Modular Equipment Configuration – An equipment configuration that is consistent, modular and scalable within the team for all types of diving and diving environments.

Is swapping inflation/deflation locations (i.e. from a traditional wing to Delta) consistent? Is it scalable (i.e. to doubles or tech/cave rigs or CCR)? Will either configuration be acceptable for all UTD single-cylinder courses?

I would like to test one out someday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom