New Twin Hose Reg (bubbles exit behind head)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aqualung has introduced the Mistral Twin Hose regulator at the "BOOT" show in Germany. It's CE certified and offered for 760 Euros. The exhaust is behind the diver which should make it attractive to photographers and filmers
(which is the reason to post it here rather than the gear forum).

Just out of curriosity, wouldn't there be a big potential for CO2 buildup in this unit?

mempilot:
Just out of curriosity, wouldn't there be a big potential for CO2 buildup in this unit?
I am assuming the reg will use mushroom valves in the mouthpiece which will limit the amount of that could be re-inspired to about the same volume as a normal second stage. As the exhaled air leaves the mouthpiece it passes through an exhaust valve into the exhaust hose and cannot be re-inhaled.

Using a conventional first stage design with ports will solve the traditional problems of attaching an octo, low pressure inflator and SPG.

Check valves in the mouthpiece make clearing a double hose reg relatively easy in most situations as unless a valve gets stuck the intake hose won't flood. But unless some type of purge button is integrated into the mouthpiece, some specialty training will still be required to use the reg safely.

I suspect that issue and the fact that some non industry standard techniques and skills may be needed, will prohibit sales in the US due to our excessive population of lawyers. I can just see an attorney arguing that some moronic diver died because Aqualung designed a reg that uses echniques noty commonly taught in OW courses, or alternatively because Aqualung chose to use 50 year old double hose technology in the reg when "safer" technlogy was available.

jcclink:
Back to the old Mike Nelson Sea Hunt days are we???????
With rebreathers more popular than ever we're back in the 30s when Hans Hass and crew were "Men Among Sharks".

If a relatively new diver is rebreather bound, it would be a good intro reg.

Woo hoo! USD has listened to our pleas and released the Mentor for civilian consumption. At last.

Wonder if my LDS can get it, or will I have to go through a European dealer? Hmm.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom