NEW TS Sidemount system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what am I missing?
What is the purpose of either plate?
My rig, like most, use 2 tiny plates to complete a webbing harness. Add a soft wing and there is maybe 10mm extra of form fitting material across your back.
No sharp edges to catch.
See how well your stiff plate arches and conforms to an inside corner.
On second thought, don't.
Listen to Tom's warning on tight restrictions.
We would hate to hear about you getting stuck like a stick in an elbow...

Physics is still physics. Rigid plates, regardless of what you want to call them, are a bad idea in true sidemount passages. Just because you really really really want to pretend otherwise to sell some product, doesn't mean that the physics just goes away.

Physics is still physics. Rigid plates, regardless of what you want to call them, are a bad idea in true sidemount passages. Just because you really really really want to pretend otherwise to sell some product, doesn't mean that the physics just goes away.

You complete miss the point, I pretend nothing, I am not trying to sell any product, If you read the beginning of my post...I might even agree

Last edited:
Well, I will let you guys to it and update my experience with the system in a few months.
What I can tell you now is that it is very well made, quality products, easily adjustable, super stable, very streamlined, no bubble on your back and
you can mount drysuit inflation on your side (unlike the inventions with metal construction on top of you we see at the moment) and it is light.
It is very easy to put unto 16kg of weight on it, it doesn't move, it is stable so, for cold water stuff ideal. (you can also asymmetrically put weights, like for a SM RB)

It is not some chinese product made by someone that doesn't know how to dive SM, and also not by someone that doesn't know how to dive "true SM", it has a right of existence, at least that is how I look at it, and that was the idea of the post.

If I can really wurm myself though tiny holes..that I will have to see for myself..it was designed with that in mind.
As stated before, in the video of the project in Mx, you can see that the guy that came up with this is still alive ;-)
Maybe the designer will get back to us...

Thanks
In the meanwhile I will continue trying things, learning and improving..and share my experience with backplated SM, without backplates, continues bungees, loop bungees, chokers, no mount, back mount, RB (hopefully SM RB soon) and single tank adventures based on true experience with my students.

Last edited:
@bluemed, I don't know if you can read this: https://www.sidemount-tauchen.com/download/pdf/WETNOTES_Ausgabe_6_Sidemount_Toddy_Style.pdf
It's an article in German that explains the development of this system by Thorsten. Regarding no-mount passages, he says he found a small hard backplate to be a good back protection particularly when pulling with force through very narrow passages, but also uses a Razor or Dragon Harness for sump diving.

In this video about no-mount diving in Wisconsin:

at 2:12 you see one diver crawling into the rabbit hole with no wing, but a huge backplate (exit at 9:20).

I don't think this topic is of any relevance to you right now, but if you're interested in this kind of diving I suggest talking to people in real life who know about it.

@bluemed,

at 2:12 you see one diver crawling into the rabbit hole with no wing, but a huge backplate (exit at 9:20).

I don't think this topic is of any relevance to you right now, but if you're interested in this kind of diving I suggest talking to people in real life who know about it.

Hi Thanks,
I will have a look, I read german.
The post was not about this type of diving really, more about the wing, people want to hijack the post towards this type of diving.
I am fairly familiar with this type of diving and people that do this kind of stuff, I will be honest it is not my cup a tea..but thank you, so now we have found an explanation from Toddy ;-)
I know him and dived with him btw.
Gruesse
Mike

The intention of my post was not the topic what is the best for "rabbit holes" or extreme restriction diving (whatever you want to call it ),however the further we get into this (videos and articles)..it becomes clear that on this planet we have serious sidemount divers that dive "true sidemount on serious projects using a backplate.
So please, let us be respectful towards each other and keep in mind that your opinion is just your opinion, it is not written in stone and there are more "true" sidemount divers, instructors and IT's
Thank you !

You complete miss the point, I pretend nothing, I am not trying to sell any product, If you read the beginning of my post...I might even agree

I would have tagged you if I were talking about you. But if you want to assume that I was associating you in with the people who came up with this silly idea, that's your own choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom