new toy , ( to me anyway )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see this for sale locally and I was hoping to get back to uk diving next year also my daughter has a air gun so seemed like a no brainer . but is the filter system up to spec for breathing air ? he gave me loads of sealed tins of granolas and bags , apparently the media for the filter . it was serviced by Hammworthy 3 years ago and since then only filled a few bottles , it filled my 12l tfrom 230 -300bar in just a few mins
is there a way to add a electric cut out for 300 bar ? thanks in advance , any tips always appreciated
Just because it can fill to 300bar doesn't mean you should, or that's what its rated for.

You can always send a bottle away to get the air tested. Might cost £150 or more, but then you'll know what you're breathing.

Just because it can fill to 300bar doesn't mean you should, or that's what its rated for.

You can always send a bottle away to get the air tested. Might cost £150 or more, but then you'll know what you're breathing.
According to the serial and model number it is a 300bar low pressure intake compressor.
And if the filtration is good ( awaiting midland compressors email) then we are good I hope

from the initial conversations with midland diving they said as long as internally the cartridge is in good order then with the correct media I’m good to go.
I’ve just ordered a motor starter for it and a hour meter. Just need to find a 300 bar cut out. And also if possible a 230 bar cut out then I can switch betweeen them both depending on the fill needed. Thanks

According to the serial and model number it is a 300bar low pressure intake compressor.

1. That's interesting so its not an ambient pressure air inlet compressor? That would suggest that the block was originally designed for CNG or methane and requires a small low pressure at the intake and not ambient air pressure.

2. The 04 date is noted on that series filter shell but that tells you only that the filter was made in 2004. It looks new and shiny compaired to the rest of that rusting block and equally rusty Electric Motor.

3. Take a look at the motor data plate and see if you have an address and a date of manufacture also a specification and compare that to the age of the filter. Same age or are you looking a new filter fitted 17 years ago

4. Ditto for the block you should have a serial number date of manufacture and a model number.

From the photo alone it looks older than the 04 you think and pretty rough, I'm just not sure its not been cobbled up from a bunch of parts bolted to a scuba frame and an after market midland filter fitted some 20 years later.
If so these are known as "Frankenstein Builds"

The other pointer in the photo is why the blue hose on the intake to the 1st stage head.
The original Bristol HP air compressors would have been fitted with a Vokes Air intake filter fitted directly to the head.
Yours has a long blue hose?

Again could be that someone fitted it to extend the intake out of the room or it's a left over from its low pressure intake methane gas use days.

Also the head cover (right side) take a closer look why the difference in paint colour.
Air compressors were mostly painted black, Some but not all of the CNG/Methane pumps were painted a greeny blueish colour. Its not difinitive but it adds some seeds of doubt.

Also that belt guard in your photo it's way older than you and me and not the style that was around in 04 Add all this up and you can see a picture emerging.

Sell a compressor to a guy who knows little about scuba compressor, blag it off as a club compressor BSAC As for recently serviced? Ebay ads are full of that lie.

I have the receipts for the service in the name of Dover bsac. So that’s proven. The pipe he fottef to bring in fresh aid from outside the boat shed. The filter is a replacment ant not original. 0-5 psi intake. Yeah the pump may be old. But all it has to do is pump air ? The filter cleans it.

I have the receipts for the service in the name of Dover bsac. So that’s proven. The pipe he fottef to bring in fresh aid from outside the boat shed. The filter is a replacment ant not original. 0-5 psi intake. Yeah the pump may be old. But all it has to do is pump air ? The filter cleans it.
If that intake pipe is more than, say 2m, then you're not getting sufficient air into the compressor for it to work properly. The pump must do more than just 'pump air'. It’s got to do it without adding contaminants most of which you won't smell or taste, but will kill you.

The pipe is coming off and a filter will be installed.

you call it a Frankenstein. But in the custom car world it’s classed as customised to make it better.

getting rid of a petrol engine has to be a huge posotive. crompton motors are top notch.

The pump is a proven design and will outlast most Chinese units.
The air filter meets all current legislation

so as far as I can see it’s a good unit

Go for it, we have an old 10cfm Bristol running nicely here that pumps good air day in day out after many years.
Get the air tested to remove any doubt.
I wouldn't worry about the pressure cut off, you want to be there draining water regularly anyway. Your pressure relief valve will stop it from exploding if you get distracted for a min or two.

I had one of these several decades ago as my first portable. It got slower and wasn't able to reach 200 bar so I junked it as it wasn't worth rebuilding. If it pumps a tank to full pressure in a reasonable time, by all means run it with a proper filter, but don't spend much money on it or expect to be able to repair it. Midland sells cartridges for that housing that I "assume" meet applicable standards when installed properly. That would be safer than trying to pack your own filters.

The pipe is coming off and a filter will be installed.

you call it a Frankenstein. But in the custom car world it’s classed as customised to make it better.

getting rid of a petrol engine has to be a huge posotive. crompton motors are top notch.

The pump is a proven design and will outlast most Chinese units.
The air filter meets all current legislation

so as far as I can see it’s a good unit

You seem to know a lot about them. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom