new toy , ( to me anyway )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dodgy diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
comp1.JPG
so

I see this for sale locally and I was hoping to get back to uk diving next year also my daughter has a air gun so seemed like a no brainer . but is the filter system up to spec for breathing air ? he gave me loads of sealed tins of granolas and bags , apparently the media for the filter . it was serviced by Hammworthy 3 years ago and since then only filled a few bottles , it filled my 12l tfrom 230 -300bar in just a few mins
is there a way to add a electric cut out for 300 bar ? thanks in advance , any tips always appreciated

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Looks to be a Bristol compressor (not because I’m an expert, just reading the side of it). I’m seeing lots of info on this brand both on scubaboard and otherwise.

Not brand specific, but this a good place to start for a new compressor owner: Dive Technician Training Center. Compare your setup to the compressor diagram to see if it’s got what it needs. Hard to tell from just the one pic.

it was serviced by Hammworthy 30 years ago and since then only filled a few bottles ,

I guess you made a typo with the date. There I've fixed it for you.

I think we have been advising UK divers to sell off these old clunkers to paintballer for the last 25 years at least after they stopped making spares and service parts for them. Paintballers are your friends on this.

The filtration was made when? I guess around 1973? its dated on the top part of the shell, and would just reach BS4001 purity back then. Since then the UK improved air standards to BS4275 and even that was withdrawn in 1997 and replaced by BS EN 12021 to avoid rusting up steel cylinders especially at 300 bar service pressure.

A pressure switch is easy to fit wired to that Brook Crompton motor wired via the starter panel contact relays and the least of your problems. And those bags of granola you were given may be well out of date by now.

It was a typo but 13 years ago tho. Not 30.

it has been used by a BSAC club till a couple of years ago.
I’m happy to change the filter system on the compressor. It’s a quiet unit for its size. and to be fair I paid only a couple of hundred quid for it.
So if I need to bring it up co current standards by spending money on it than that’s fine.
Hamworthy belliss and Morton did a service and it looks like a new prv for it along with a air quality test thanks

I can’t seem to find a 300bar rated pressure switch on line. Any help here would be great. also if you can suggest a current filter tower to install then that’s brilliant.
as far as I’m aware a compressor is just a mechanical pump. And tho spares are hard to come by it’s only the filter that makes it compliant or not. So I can just replace the pump side if needed later on. But I’ll not be using it loads tho anyway. So as long as it can provide safe air then we are good to go. Thanks

I guess you made a typo with the date. There I've fixed it for you.

I think we have been advising UK divers to sell off these old clunkers to paintballer for the last 25 years at least after they stopped making spares and service parts for them. Paintballers are your friends on this.

The filtration was made when? I guess around 1973? its dated on the top part of the shell, and would just reach BS4001 purity back then. Since then the UK improved air standards to BS4275 and even that was withdrawn in 1997 and replaced by BS EN 12021 to avoid rusting up steel cylinders especially at 300 bar service pressure.

A pressure switch is easy to fit wired to that Brook Crompton motor wired via the starter panel contact relays and the least of your problems. And those bags of granola you were given may be well out of date by now.

The filter says 04/2004 on the top.

Back
Top Bottom