New to underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, out of the box, my Micro defaulted to "land" mode. And, I didn't think to check it before I went into the water with it the first time. When I started taking pictures my first time in the water, I neglected to check the thumbnails as I took the pictures. So, I ended up with a lot of green pictures. For the most part, I was able to fix that by using a photo editor and adjusting the white balance. But, there were a few that I just couldn't fix.

So, the lesson learned for me was, check which mode your Micro is in each time before you start taking pictures. I can also tell you if the camera is in dive mode and you don't swap it back to land mode before you take pictures out of the water, those pictures will turn out green as well.

EDIT: Actually, I checked again last night and it appears the land pictures turn out red if you're in dive mode as opposed to green.

It sounds like you bought the same setup as me with the camera and 1500 light. I recommend taking a lot of pictures with and without the light (again make sure you have the camera mode set accordingly). You'll find that there are a lot of times you don't even need the light. And, it's a lot more convenient to take just the camera instead of having to lug the camera and light bar setup. You can put the camera on a lanyard, stick it in a BCD pocket, and pull it out when you want to start taking pictures.

Obviously, there will be times that absolutely require you to use the light. What you may find (as I have) is that a double light bar with two lights is more to your liking (as it eliminates unwanted background shadows cast by light coming from one side of the camera). Personally, I'm not yet to the point that I'm ready to sink more money into my camera setup for the additional light. It just depends how picky you are about your pictures.

Finally, as someone already pointed out, when you think you're way too close to a subject, that's probably about the correct distance.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom