New to underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just purchased a micro 2 with 1500 light. I should receive this week. Any tips?
First time to owning such a rig

I have the same or similar set up with a 1200 light. A couple suggestion. I attach a P Tec coil lanyard with the black loop put over the light arm and for extra security I put a stainless steel ring on my camera where the lanyard loop area is and attach the stainless steel rings together. Gives you two attachments instead of one. Princeton Tec Coil Lanyard Black

I then attach the metal clip on the landyard to my left shoulder bcd d ring. On my right shoulder d-ring i attach a simple loop, something like this Aqua Wrist Lanyard, I put the light head through this. On land, on the boat and in the water, the camera stays on my chest secured this way until I am ready to use it. It really works well. Once in an area where I am ready to photograph, I take the light head out of the loop, disconnect the quick disconnects on the lanyard loop and hold the camera in my left hand. When I want to be hands free or otherwise want to take a break from taking pictures you can simply slip the loop on your right shoulder d ring over the light head.

On picture quality, read the general tips in the manual and on line for u/w photos. Take lots, experiment a lot and your pics will get better.

I have the same or similar set up with a 1200 light. A couple suggestion. I attach a P Tec coil lanyard with the black loop put over the light arm and for extra security I put a stainless steel ring on my camera where the lanyard loop area is and attach the stainless steel rings together. Gives you two attachments instead of one. Princeton Tec Coil Lanyard Black

I then attach the metal clip on the landyard to my left shoulder bcd d ring. On my right shoulder d-ring i attach a simple loop, something like this Aqua Wrist Lanyard, I put the light head through this. On land, on the boat and in the water, the camera stays on my chest secured this way until I am ready to use it. It really works well. Once in an area where I am ready to photograph, I take the light head out of the loop, disconnect the quick disconnects on the lanyard loop and hold the camera in my left hand. When I want to be hands free or otherwise want to take a break from taking pictures you can simply slip the loop on your right shoulder d ring over the light head.

On picture quality, read the general tips in the manual and on line for u/w photos. Take lots, experiment a lot and your pics will get better.

I appreciate the info, if you have a chance can you send me a picture. It would help me understand much better.
How do you like how the camera performs?

Having seen about 1 lost camera for every 16 dives I been on, my main advice is to make sure it is always secured. Never unclip it. Two were lost when the photographer handed the camera to their buddy near the end of the dive for buddy to take some photos of the camera owner. Buddy hands it back and photographer forgets to reclip it. When they surface it was gone. Others were relying on just a loose wrist lanyard.

tkaelin's method to stow the camera close to the chest is interesting and I'm going to give it a try though I hade to read it twice to understand it.

The first thing I noticed with my camera was my video skills were terrible. I thought I was smooth but the evidence was otherwise!

Forgot to add, get the camera where you think it is to close to the subject. Then get even closer.

Sorry about the explanation being not so clear. So step one attach a stainless steel split ring to camera.
WP_20170813_002 (002).jpg
Next attach Coil lanyard by black loop on lanyard to light arm
WP_20170813_003 (002).jpg
Next attach the split wring on the camera with the split ring on the coil lanyard. Gives you two attachments in case one fails
WP_20170813_005 (002).jpg
Next you can see my bc with a yellow flexible wrist lanyard on my right shoulder D Ring on my BCD.
WP_20170813_006 (002).jpg
Next clipped light by using the metal clip on the coil lanyard to my left shoulder BCD D ring
WP_20170813_007 (002).jpg
Next loop yellow flexible wrist lanyard over light head.
WP_20170813_008 (002).jpg

It may not look like it in the photo but when wearing the BCD the light sits flat on your chest out of the way until ready to use. It also keeps it in a protected area as oppose to dangling from a side d-ring. I don't unclip the metal clip on the coil lanyard from my BCD until back in the boat or onshore. This way camera remains secure but completely useable the entire dive.

The camera located this way does not interfere with dive gear. Can see gauges, use inflator etc. When ready to take pics, just unloop the yellow flexible wrist lanyard and disconnect the quick connect on the coil lanyard and you can use and extend the camera from your body as if the coil was not there. The camera always remains connected by the coil to the bcd.

+1 secure

Lost a camera on a wrist strap at the hang bar in choppy seas. Now have a very secure attachment.

I use a very similar attachment method as described above. Only reversed. I clip the camera to my shoulder with a spring coil and quick disconnect, then with he lanyard attached to the light head, clip the lanyard to my d ring. I have two strobes, and it keeps the rig close to the body and easy to access.

My two cents is to always do a couple of test shots as soon as you start your dive. Nothing worse than finding a rare creature only to have a setting wrong and lose the shot.

Back
Top Bottom