New to u/water photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewmm

Reaction score
I am an experienced diver but would now like to get into uw photography.

What are the best options for entry level film cameras or entry level digitals?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I too just recently got into UW photography. I use a canon a40 powershot which is a 2 mp digital camera and the canon wp-dc200s underwater housing. The camera will cost you about 250.00 and the housing about 200-300 dollars but you may be able to find it for a little cheaper than that. I have only used the camera one time for UW photos, but I am very pleased with it.
You can check out some pics I took on
http://www.scubaboard.com/t19724/s.html

Good luck!

check out Camedia (Olympus) and Sony as well. Certainly in Japan their housings are a lot cheaper than the cameras. I baught a friend (she paid for it!) a Sony P9 and hosuing and it came to about $700.

35mm the entry level seems to be the MX10 these days.

Also have a good search through previous posts - you'll find lots of info.

andrewmm once bubbled...
I am an experienced diver but would now like to get into uw photography.

What are the best options for entry level film cameras or entry level digitals?

Andrew

IMHO digital is the way to go. I just started shooting u/w in December, after over 25 years of diving. We were on a 2+ week dive trip and my photo's improved daily. I don't think they would have if I hadn't been able to view my pics during and after the dive. To have to wait until I got home to have rolls of film developed wouldn't work for me.

If you don't plan on blowing up your pics larger than 8x10 or so, you can easily get away will a 3+ mega pixel camera. They are all over ebay at reasonable prices. I personally like Olympus, but I'm biased because that's what I have. I think you will find many people on the board do also. From reading a lot of the posts it seems as if the Nikons and Sony's perform well too.

When it comes to housings, strobes and all the other goodies you may want to talk with Allan at underwaterdigital.com . He's got good prices and is a reliable vendor.

One caution....this can become habit forming. I thought my Harley cost a lot. You can spend a fortune upgrading and buying cool new things for u/w photography. You don't have to do it.....but the options are certainly there. For $800-$1000 you can buy a very nice set up that you can use for quite a while and get great shots.

Good luck with your decisions

Steve

Andrew,

GO DIGITAL AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT :) RIGHT DEE???

JUST THINK, NO MORE FILMS TO MESS AROUND WITH, NO FILM DEVELOPING, NO MORE TRIPS TO YOUR LOCAL PHOTO STORE. YOU GET INSTANT FEEDBACK RIGHT AFTER THE SHOT:) THE SETUP IS DEFINITELY A LOT LIGHTER THAN FILM SETUP.

HOPE THIS HELP.....

ALLAN

underwater digital

Search and read through this forum for the last few months. There have been alot of discussions about first cameras.

To really recommend a cmaera set-up, we need to know what your budget is, what results you expect...prints or web work.

Like Bacchus I use an Olympus C-4040 so that's usually what I recommend but there are other good ones out there, Canon A series for one.

Give us a few more details and we can be a bit more specific.

andrewmm once bubbled...
Bacchus, forgive me, but what is IMHO??

It means In My Honest Opinion.

Alan's right....digital is the only way to go. No one has really made the distiction because we've all pretty much converted to digital...except for a few old holdouts that know who they are! :D

Not only can you get some excellent pictures with the low learning curve of digital, but the instant feedback is priceless. The ability to take 75 or more photos per dive, then delete the bad ones sure is nice! It also helps you to learn immediately from your mistakes.

With my film camera, I might take 20 rolls of 36exp. film on a trip. After spending $200+ on processing, I would immediately throw half of them away and the rest were OK with a few really esceptional ones. Once I figured out what I had done wrong or needed to improve on, I had to wait several months until the next dive trip to put it into practice.

Yeah...digital is the way to go!

edit...Oops, Jonothan beat me to it!

Jonathan once bubbled...
In My Humble Opinion

some people also say Honest for the H

I've been called honest before......sometimes, but less frequently humble :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom