New to the BP/W, and diving set up question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, I am fairly new to diving but have found this board to be extremely helpful. I have done a fair amount of searching and reading but have a pretty specific question. I ended up getting a completely amazing deal on a OMS BCD w. IQ Pack and Stainless Steel Backplate (like under $200) it's in great shape.

The guy I got it from was a divemaster and ended up not being able to dive anymore for medical reasons, my question is, the BC is set up to run singles right now but it appears to have a fairly large wing, as a newbie is it a problem to have a wing with too much lift? It seems that if I get a run-away inflator it could end up being a danger if its too large of a wing.

Up to this point I have only used rental gear and all of them were jacket style bc's so I am already making the leap to a BP/W wondering if using the large wing is going to be too much, do you all have any suggestions?

Hey all, I am fairly new to diving but have found this board to be extremely helpful. I have done a fair amount of searching and reading but have a pretty specific question. I ended up getting a completely amazing deal on a OMS BCD w. IQ Pack and Stainless Steel Backplate (like under $200) it's in great shape.

The guy I got it from was a divemaster and ended up not being able to dive anymore for medical reasons, my question is, the BC is set up to run singles right now but it appears to have a fairly large wing, as a newbie is it a problem to have a wing with too much lift? It seems that if I get a run-away inflator it could end up being a danger if its too large of a wing.

Up to this point I have only used rental gear and all of them were jacket style bc's so I am already making the leap to a BP/W wondering if using the large wing is going to be too much, do you all have any suggestions?

A runaway inflater on any size BC / wing is a genuine emergency.

The real problem with huge wings is they can be difficult to vent, and they add drag. Divers that struggle to vent their wing usually end up carrying extra ballast to compensate. Then you have an overweighted diver in an over sized wing.......

I'd suggest you determine which wing you have. If it's inappropriate for the diving you plan to do, you can ebay it and get one that's a better match. That's one of the great benefits of a modular BC like a BP&W.

Tobin

Yes, get a wing properly sized to the amount of lift you need.

There was a great post earlier about determining this, so instead of reinventing the wheel I'll find it and link it for you.

Edit: Damn, Tobin beat me to it.

Here is the link:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201019

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom