New to Scuba from Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppy9

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I'm just getting into scuba. Actually I'm still trying to decide which dive shop I want to use to learn. I'm in Northwest Ohio and an looking at Aqua-Hut in Toledo, Sea Level Scuba in Northwood and Long Lake Scuba in Lima. Has anybody ever heard of any of these shops? Do you recommend one over the other?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome! Where are you located? I'm familiar with all the shops in the Toledo area and I can recommend Sea Level. The owner, Dale Musser, is a great guy and excellent teacher. He is also very flexible when it comes to scheduling. Sea Level would be my first choice in NW Ohio. The reason I like that shop so much is because Dale is not going to sell you an OW class on the cheap and then insist you buy a bunch of crap you don't need. There have been many times he's told me I don't need a piece of gear I was about to buy.

It's also the only technical-oriented shop in the Toledo area. So if you plan on getting into wreck diving or cave diving it's the place to go. Definitely go talk to him if nothing else. It's a very small shop but he's a straight-shooter and great instructor IMO.

Which is my primary store...

Its an SSI shop, SSI is the 2nd most popular certifying agency in the world (arguably)... SeaLevel is SDI.

One thing AquaHut does that I dont believe SeaLevel does is after your certified you get FREE USE of a wetsuit, weights and tank (with air fills) for free... for a year... dive once a week , dive twice a week, three times, whatever... Free...

Like Bladephotog said you'll probably pay a lil' less for your OW cert at the Hut, but SSI shops DO push you to buy gear... (which isnt nescessarily a dealbreaker, its just how SSI shops operate).

AquaHut/SSI actually DO have a Tech program so Blade's wrong on that account...

Blade is also correct about Dale Musser of SeaLevel, he's a Great teacher, and a Very experience technical diver. I just finished my Solo Certification with him this week.

Whether or not you go with AquaHut or SeaLevel you'll probably end up diving Whitestar Quarry in Gibsonburg Ohio.. its about 40 min. from Toledo and I'm there ALOT. I'm sure Jeff an Ian (AquaHut) will send you in my direction should you choose them.

Hope to dive with you sometime soon.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for info. I'm located in Findlay so it looks like I'm in for an hour long drive no matter where I go for the lessons. I have no idea what type of diving I'm interested in but I've always loved the water and snorkeling. Once I get my OW cert I expect I will have a better idea. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either shop.

Thanks

Guppy, Bob Stover in Tiffin is also an instructor. He is not affiliated with any store, however he usually goes to New Wave Scuba in Port Clinton for his gear and air fills. He used to teach the YMCA program, but now that their program is defunct, I believe he is an instructor for SDI (I think?) as well. He still teaches at the YMCA, but the program is not Y-affiliated anymore. He usually has small classes and is a very patient instructor. I highly recommend him (he taught my son and I). PM me if you want I will get you in touch with him.

Which is my primary store...

Like Bladephotog said you'll probably pay a lil' less for your OW cert at the Hut, but SSI shops DO push you to buy gear... (which isnt nescessarily a dealbreaker, its just how SSI shops operate).

AquaHut/SSI actually DO have a Tech program so Blade's wrong on that account...

Actually I don't think I'm really wrong. :wink: I said it's the only technical-oriented shop in the Toledo area. I don't think you can go to Aqua Hut and buy a bp/w rig off the shelf like you can at Sea Level but I haven't been in the store in about a year. My apologies if I'm mistaken. I didn't know SSI is now offering a tech program.

Living in Findlay, you have Gilboa Quarry right next door and that's an excellent place to dive. I did my OW with New Wave in PC and I like that shop as well.

Aqua Hut and Sea Level both will make you a good, safe, certified diver. Visit both stores and talk to them, see which shop gives you the best vibe and go from there.

Good luck.

Andy

Hi All,

Thanks for all the information. I am planning getting my cert in June. Work is a little crazy right now and I just need to find some time to fit it in.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom