New to scuba from Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I along with my 16 yr old son are going thru scuba school now. We are really enjoying and are looking forward to our check out dive soon. Can anyone tell me if I can use a cheap disposable camera to start out with to capture some of the underwater beauty or do I need to go ahead and buy a nice camera? Spent alot already with all the equipment. Any other advice for a new diver would be appreciated.

Dale

doddhome@centurytel.net

I along with my 16 yr old son are going thru scuba school now. We are really enjoying and are looking forward to our check out dive soon. Can anyone tell me if I can use a cheap disposable camera to start out with to capture some of the underwater beauty or do I need to go ahead and buy a nice camera? Spent alot already with all the equipment. Any other advice for a new diver would be appreciated.

Dale

doddhome@centurytel.net

If you buy a cheap camera, make sure that it is good for the depth that you will be diving to. Usually, it won't have a great flash, so you are not going to be taking really deep pictures with it anyway, but if you carry it to 60 feet, and it is only good for 15 feet, you may not have anything but a flooded camera at the end of the dive.

Welcome to scuba. You can find a lot of useful information on this board. You will read about alot of things that you know nothing about yet. Try to stay within your limits in diving, and make sure you are working with an active certified instructor who can clear up any misunderstandings or misinterpretations you may find along the way with what you read on here.

Dive safe!

I tried a disposable once. The housing deformed below 10' to the point that you could snap one picture but to advance the film you had to go up until the gears would mesh. :p

First I'll say welcome.
At most dive shops and locations you can buy a "cheap" 35 mm u/w camera. I say "cheap" not inexpensive because you get what you pay for. I have seen pix's taken with such cameras and they ain't pretty. The flash is useless. I wont get into exposure or overexposure. Just not good quality. I would if you have the money bite the bullet and get a nice digital camera. Topside and subsurface use....Maybe with an exterior strobe. You only do your check out dives once..........OR go with the cheap camera and compare your shots now and in the future after you have gained some experience. After all it is up to you and what you can do. It is all about enjoying the experience especially with your children. I have a 15 year old who dives with me. So I know the joy of sharing.

Again welcome to the board.

Welcome to the board!

Here are some tips to make your time at Scubaboard a fantastic experience:

1. Fill out your profile. This lets us get to know you! Who knows, maybe there are others out there who share your love of underwater basket weaving!

2. Check out the forum on Scubaboard that is specific to your geographical location.

3. Don't hesitate to ask any dive-related questions you may have. There WILL be someone here who knows the answer. There also may be people who are sarcastic or attempt to make you feel silly for asking questions. Keep in mind that Scubaboard is like a salad bar. Take what you like and leave the rest!

4. When available, really get involved IN PERSON. Several of us regularly attend local functions where we dive and dine together. It really does enhance your Scubaboard experience!

Welcome!

Welcome to the 'Board! There are some disposable cameras at Walmart that work okay to 100', which is deeper than you'll initially be going. The quality of the photos isn't that great, but you get what you pay for. For about $400 you can get a decent point and shoot and housing which will give you great photos that can also be edited on your computer. Once you're certified come on down to the Florida panhandle and we'll hit some of the local water holes.

Welcome to the board! You might want to look around this forum for some advice on disposible vs point and shoot vs dslr. You can get a pretty good point and shoot setup without breaking the bank (unless you want to get a strobe).

ScubaBoard - Underwater Photography

Dale

doddhome@centurytel.net

Welcome to Alabama scuba diving to you and your son. You have picked a great sport.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Welcome Aboard !
Good-Luck to you and your son !

Back
Top Bottom