New to Scuba Board - traveling to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdwinell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I'm traveling to Grand Cayman over Christmas and would love to do a wreck dive on the 26th. Does anyone have any reputable shops or know someone who would like to host? I'm likely to want to rent equipment since this is an in-and-out sort of thing. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Chris

There are dozens of them. It's a very competitive market so bad ones don't last. Most charge around $100 for a 2-tank boat dive. Often the 1st dive is deeper on the wall then a shallower 2nd site. There's over 350 listed sites around the island so most aren't shared. A complete list of operators is at www.cita.ky

About the only consideration is where you plan to stay. Anywhere along Seven Mile Beach they all pickup - boats are in the marina;s nearby.

Also some sops have officess on-site at resorts. Ambassador Divers is at Comfort Suites another shop is at Sunshine Suites. Divetech is at the Holiday Inn plus their location on the north side at Lighthouse Point.

For boat dives I often reommend Ambassador, Neptune's Diver's or Wall to Wall. Others's recommend Off the Wall. The big boat/cruise diver operations are Don Foster's or Red Sail.

On the quieter Eaast End, Ocean Frontier's or Tortuga Divers. It's about 45-60 minutes out there.

Also Sunset House is an option if you want it all in one place, room, diving, meals. It's also walking distance to downtown Georgetown. Sometimes they offer a single deal that bundles garden view room, boat diving, shrore tanks on prpeerty and breakfast. On the far NW side Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers offer similar options. You'd want a car there - it's 20mins. from anything. There also might be some 1br. condo's at Heppt's Condo's - the Hepp's dive sites are accessible to guests there. Coconut Bay also has Stingray Waterspprts on-site but all the condos are 2-3 bedrooms.

Turtle Reef is also a good, popular shore dive, Sundivers is on site. You may have a harder time finding a buddy there though. Happy Fish Divers offers paid guides there.

Stingray City is the best 15' dive you can do. Also the Kittiwake is done by most operators - it's a big, dive cleaned wreck off the west side.

ps - there's a forum for more info/suggestions.

Cayman Islands

outstanding! thank you for all that help!

last time I dove in G. Cayman was 25 years ago. It seemed more of a "we'll take you to where we're going today" with the shops. I'll definitely check out the forum! thanks!!!

The operators will still likely pick the sites or at least the general area. Especially on North Wall dives which have the potential to be blown out next month. West side dives are generally less affected. You should porbably call Sundivers before driving up to shore dive Turtle Reef for conditions. It's also often possible to dive Lighthouse Point instead as it's around the point so often diveable when the north side is not.

Seven Mile Beach is a lot more built-up than when you were there last. Even traffic jams at times. Also multiple curse ships dock in Georgetown now so we avoided it till after about 4pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom