New to Manila and looking for advice on operators and shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhood541

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I've just arrived in Manila and looking to meet like minded divers and find a good source of new gear. I've been diving for past 4 years regularly with over 200 dives logged. I'm AOW, Nitrox and Solo qualified with SDI.

If anyone has good recommendations for shops and dive clubs/groups I'd be grateful for the info.

thanks,
Brian

Paging Devon Diver :)

Brian, it sounds as if Andy Davis is your man... he'll be along shortly I'm sure.

Enjoy and if you are making a trip to the Visayas stay in touch.

Matt.

Hi Brian,

As Matt said, I live in Manila. I'm primarily involved as a freelance/consultant instructor in tech/wreck/sidemount diving, but happy to hook up for a coffee and general chat to get you orientated, if you're around the Makati area.

The main dive shops I use are listed below, between them, they have everything you might need:

Makati Area:

Pacifica - Stocks and services Scubapro - has an excellent selection of bits and pieces.

Nautilus - OMS dealer with a good selection of gadgets and accessories.

Aquamundo - Sells their own brand, including rec and tec equipment, which is good quality and cheaper than imported stuff.

Aquaventure Whitetip - Apeks/Aqualung/Suunto dealer

TechAsia - Sells DiveRite and some other good tec stuff

(all of these are within 15 minutes walk from Greenbelt Mall)

Quezon City:

Divers' Point - Good stock of scuba kit.

Splash Underwater Images - The best place in Manila for underwater camera gear

Ocean Zone Explorers - UTD center, including UTD equipment.

Diver's Network - (Closed now, I think??) Lots of tech stuff.

There's plenty of active instructors in Manila. Most run training and trips - regular short diving trips to Anilao/Subic/Puerto Galera and occasional longer trips to further-flung locations, like Cebu, Coron or Palau. Choice of instructor/club might be dictated by the type of diving you want to be involved in. Also, there are regular social meet-ups by members of the Philippines Paradise Divers....and if you're into underwater photography, there is the "NUDI" photo club that meet monthly in Serendra/Fort (they have regular member photo competitions etc).

I should add that Mares have a distributor too (although I don't use Mares):

Mares Showroom Makati7805 Vistamar Bldg. Mayapis Cor. St. Paul St., San Antonio Village, Makati City.403-0519; 4030520

Add to Andy's notes if you're looking at shopping in the Makati Area:
Phil-Tec (philtec.net) on the second floor building across Aquaventures Makati on Sacred Heart/Metropolitan has some Tech supplies (Defiance own brand, Dive Rite, Poseidon)

ScubaWorld
on Kakarong cor. Vito Cruz Extension a block north of Phil-Tec/Aquaventures has a pool. AquaLung, Suunto and other brands (new "old" stock)

If you're at Aquamundo(Amorsolo), about 100meters east, there's a small Mares showroom at Rufino corner Salcedo inside the Golf Shop. Aquamundo also has a branch at JP Rizal a few streets west of Makati Ave. I believe they may have access to a pool in the same building.

The bigger Mares showroom at Mayapis cor. St Paul Andy posted has access to a pool in the same building and, in my opinion, has better inventory of Sale items. Rule of thumb, ask for ongoing deals/discount as the posted SRP are a tad pricey.

Traffic warning: The area in front of Pacifica Makati is currently under heavy road construction and traffic has been rerouted, some are blocked, so bring your patience when you're planning to visit. That said, you're within a mile of Nautilus (Pasay Road) and Aquamundo(Amorosolo) so you can check out Pacifica with a short walk.

Last edited:
Any one know a place in Makati that I can get a Sherwood reg serviced, and what the normal turn around time is on that?

For me, I'd try contacting scubaworld, aquaventures and Ocean Zone Explorers in QC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom