New to Diving the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to some of the OP's other original questions...

I also got certified in the warm Caribbean, but I have recently done about a dozen dives in Lake Huron and I'll say that it really is like night and day. 75 feet in open ocean is about the same as 30 feet in Huron, in my (limited) experience in terms of both viz and temperature. Viz wasn't as bad as I was expecting thanks to the Zebra mussels but it certainly wasn't the 200+ we had down south.

I was diving a 3mm in the Winter ocean and 7mm (w/7mm farmer john and hood and gloves) in the Summer lakes, and I was comfortable in both settings. I do think the thermoclines are less of a barrier in the ocean, perhaps because of the constant churn. The 25 degree drop at 60 feet in Port Sanilac was a bit rugged, but exhilarating.

Finally, do try a local Quarry like Gilboa. I did the DUI drysuit event last week and had a good time. If you have the training and a good DM there is nothing to prevent you from having a blast in any location.

Cheers,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom