New to cave diving equipment suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea2summit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone else find it odd/a little alarming so many of these posts have been popping up? No problem with new cave divers but I would hope all the cool gear is low on the list and all the reasons to cave dive and associated skills would be a little higher. I know before I ever took cavern I had all the skills to pass it and had a lot of dives in a technical configuration.

Not to open a really big can of worms but are we starting to see PADI marketing working?

I'm not really surprised. Tech diving is becoming more mainstream. It's the hip, cool thing to do, rather than a means to an end. When I took my training, it was done with the intent to improve my skills to enable me to do dives that were currently beyond my reach.

I've had several long discussions with people about their reasons for jumping into tech training only to be pretty much ignored. People seem to start these threads looking for approval and aren't wanting to hear reality.

Thankfully no agency or fancy dive gear were the reason I got into tech diving, though I have lots of it now :wink:

I got into tech diving because I found myself pushing the recreational limits and I figured that I better learn how to excede the limits properly and safely as opposed to trial and error.

Thankfully no agency or fancy dive gear were the reason I got into tech diving, though I have lots of it now :wink:

I got into tech diving because I found myself pushing the recreational limits and I figured that I better learn how to excede the limits properly and safely as opposed to trial and error.

I was similar, I never wanted to exceed rec limits but found I wanted to get inside a wreck, then stay a little longer, then go a little deeper...look at me now I probably scare the crap out of me 7 years ago:mooner:

Like I said I don't frown on more tec/cave whatever divers just wonder about posts where the first inquiry is about "gear".

The most recent PADI magazine has a section on PADI "Tec". It includes an interview with a PADI technical instructor. He's asked something like, "How do you choose your equipment?" And although I know he was joking, every other phrase in the answer was, "It looks cool." And he finishes it off by saying that tech gear is the coolest stuff out there. I nearly gagged reading it.

well, that's why *i* cave dive - i knew when i walked into cee the first time that i needed to know what all that shiny s&m-looking stuff did.

What snorkel do you think would look cool with my new Nomad?

Like I said I don't frown on more tec/cave whatever divers just wonder about posts where the first inquiry is about "gear".

Ah, I see now says the blind diver :D

I guess a person has to start somewhere. There are a fair amount of tech divers where I am so I got to see a lot of gear before I started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom