New 'tent' makes it possible to camp underwater via NatGeo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturation diving inside a lift bag?
What could possibly go wrong?

So these underwater bags have CO2 scrubbers, O2 makeup tanks and gas sensors, similar to rebreather setup?

So these underwater bags have CO2 scrubbers, O2 makeup tanks and gas sensors, similar to rebreather setup?

... inside a lift bag. What could possibly go wrong, right?

Oh my heck! I wasn't aware of that movie. A review on Rottom Tomatoes says "I couldn't wait for these people to drown." After reading the plot on Wikipedia, it appears they couldn't wait for each other to drown either. It looks like James Cameron committed an affront to civilization!

As far as this new product is concerned, I read the spec sheet. There's barely room for two people to sit. Some camping trip!
I didn't say it was a good movie...

... inside a lift bag. What could possibly go wrong, right?
I think these devices are relatively common... as "common" as something can be inside the rarity of extended duration technical diving, anyway.

I didn't say it was a good movie...

I saw an interview with him where he basically said he shot Titanic in order to dive the wreck. I reckon, if the guy found this way to finance his dive trips -- respect. (Doesn't mean we have to watch the movies though...)

Most simply stay on the rebreathers or breathe OC gas in the habitat. It's still better than being in the water as you can take your mask and hood off, eat and drink comfortably, and stay quite a bit warmer.

However, KUR (Karst Underwater Research) has a habitat scrubber that we use frequently. It is a CO2 scrubber with PO2 monitoring electronics. We just check the PO2 occasionally and purge a bit of deco gas into the habitat to bring it up when needed. We even wire a Wifi transmitter down and connect an iPad or smart phone to chat with the surface and post live feeds. It's pretty awesome. We can pull all of our gear off to climb in and be super cozy. It almost feels like cheating. here's a link to a recent "habichat" at Twin Dees:
You can see the scrubber hanging in the background.

Most simply stay on the rebreathers or breathe OC gas in the habitat. It's still better than being in the water as you can take your mask and hood off, eat and drink comfortably, and stay quite a bit warmer.

However, KUR (Karst Underwater Research) has a habitat scrubber that we use frequently. It is a CO2 scrubber with PO2 monitoring electronics. We just check the PO2 occasionally and purge a bit of deco gas into the habitat to bring it up when needed. We even wire a Wifi transmitter down and connect an iPad or smart phone to chat with the surface and post live feeds. It's pretty awesome. We can pull all of our gear off to climb in and be super cozy. It almost feels like cheating. here's a link to a recent "habichat" at Twin Dees:
You can see the scrubber hanging in the background.

How deep was the tent secured in place?

Back
Top Bottom