"new" tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h2odragon1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help! I just purchased a tank from a garage sale and my LDS is closed today. I need info re. this $40 purchase. The tank reads ctc/dot-3AL3000P639907Lluxifer04A92-S80. I plan on taking the tank to my LDS Mon. when they are open, and having a vis and hydro if it is not one of the old AL tanks that are not safe to use.
Any info prior would be appreciated.
They also had some old double hose reg's and a more "modern" dacor reg. the 1st stage dacor Balanced olympic, the octo was dacor enduro no name on the primary 2nd.
Infor here would be appreciated.
I did but the Dacor Extreme bcd, and a hood. The reg's were left,(I was not sure if they could be serviced) there was also a Farmer-John wetsuit and some weights.
I think I got a good deal on the bcd and hood, so I just wonder about the tank/ashtray?

Look for the stamp that indicates the original hydro date. It will have the month and year mm/yy.

This is Luxifer AL80 tank. The first hydro was April 1992 (manufacture date)

It is way after 1989.. You will be fine. $40 is a good price...

Yep, it's from 92 and is the newer alloy and you should be good. There is always the chance that itiwll fail hydro, but that would have be one poorly treated tank!! It may fail if the owners had used it as kindling for fires, or as shot in their trebuchet. Otherwise, I would be surprised if it failed :)

Now, go back, buy those double hose regs, and send them to me! I'll find a way to servic them! (been on the lookout recently for really really cheap vintage gear)

Yep, as the others have stated:
3AL - aluminum
3000 - working PSI
Luxfer - the manufacturer
04A92 - the original hydro date. April 92. The "A" represents the facility that did the testing.
S80 - capacity in cu ft.

The tank was made long after the whole SP6498 deal. While I still see a lot of 6498s in service (as long as they pass hydro and viz...), there are some places that are rather picky when it comes to refilling tanks (as JahJah can probably attest).

I'd check around the neck for other numbers that would indicate a more recent hydro, but a fresh viz and hydro would be a good idea.

To be honest, all info about how to read the tank marker is on your OW manual....

Only thing you need to check was the year of 1989....

Search is your ~~~~~ (you know that)..:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom