New tank & VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm shopping for a new cylinder and this is an issue I have a problem with. Why would a brand new tank be required to have a VIP inspection at the dive shop that is selling the tank? Did the cylinder manufacturer decide to save money and eliminate the inspectors job? Is the quality control at the cylinder manufactuer so bad that it needs a final inspection at the dive shop? I just don't get it.

well... if the guy who ships you the tank ships it with a VIP sticker on, just screw the valve in and go get it filled

you do need the VIP sticker to get airfills, and the manufacturers don't provide those

The dive shop said he can't fill it without a sticker on it and I ask why a new cylinder needs an inspection and he just tells me he can't fill it without a sticker. I do not think he has any intension to inspect the cylinder, why should he, it' new.
Anyhow, I am not buying it from him.

superstar:
I'm shopping for a new cylinder and this is an issue I have a problem with. Why would a brand new tank be required to have a VIP inspection at the dive shop that is selling the tank? Did the cylinder manufacturer decide to save money and eliminate the inspectors job? Is the quality control at the cylinder manufactuer so bad that it needs a final inspection at the dive shop? I just don't get it.

Any new tank from the manufacturer will have recieved a VIP during its first hydro. This VIP is required by law. Now, dive shops have a different VIP requirement which is 'industry standard' and is based on the stickers (which isn't required by law).

Now, there are a lot of good reasons to give a new tanks a once over when it comes in. A couple items you should check for are thread damage during shipping and contamination of the tank itself.

Now, there are a lot of good reasons to give a new tanks a once over when it comes in. A couple items you should check for are thread damage during shipping and contamination of the tank itself.[/QUOTE]
Two good reasons, I'm OK with this.

I know my shop gives a vis to all new tanks before putting a sticker on them and sending them out the door to the buyer. Seems pretty standard to give things a once over, after all, who knows what could have happened in transit between the manufacturer and the store.

Since the tank is normally shipped without the valve, you want to check the inside. They have a plug, but that is not totally secure (some are threaded, but not all).
Check that there is no contamination, no water or other liquids, no spiders or any other bugs, etc. (I have witness some of these). The inside could even have rust from the storage period and damage can occur during shipping.

Make sure someone actually inspects it (it could be you).

The actual sticker and other dive shop requirements...well that was discussed in a recent thread.

the seller should provide the vis with the tank. we do anyway.

i've never failed a new tank, and probably never should. if the seller/manufacturer ships it right, then there should be no problem.

If you buy it online with a VIP it does you no good. The tank should beshipped empty and shouldn't be filled without another VIP. I did get away with this but I wasn't suppose to. If any tank is empty it should be VIP'd again before filling.
When i bought my tanks from the LDS it was included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom