New Suunto D6i: MODE button not working after second dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtrab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a Suunto D6i on May 25th from online seller Dexclusive. The watch came in the mail on May 31th.
I used it for the first time on June 2nd, two dives, then I installed DM4 and movescount on my PC and transferred my dives through USB. I was very happy and pleased with the Suunto computer.

I went to dive with the watch for the second time 3 days ago. After 3 short dives the MODE button stopped working.
Short press to change MODE didn't work, long press to activate the light didn't work.
I tought it had something to do with the no fly time and waited for a day, but the MODE button is still not working.
I'm stuck in TIME mode and can't change to any other mode, and I can't turn the light on. The MODE button doesn't respond, it's not working...

I wrote to suunto support two days ago (monday June 25th), they gave me two options: a couple of local services for repair (none of them has equipment or experience with the D6i), or ask the seller Dexclusive for a replacement.

I wrote to Dexclusive yesterday and they said:
"You do know that this watch has a button "lock" that will prevent you from accidentally changing the screen or mode? Please consult with the manual"

Huh... I didn't agree with that because I already read the manual, and long-pressing the MODE button (light on) also doesn't work, but OK, I followed their instructions and re-read the manual; I didn't find anything about a "MODE button lock" option, so I wrote them again. This time they said:

"There is an interactive video in the box, please use the disc in your laptop or computer. Please connect the USB to the watch and connect it to your computer as well. Please keep me informed even if you get it figured out.

I already did that too, but there's nothing about a "locking the MODE button" nowhere to be found, neither how to unlock it.

The watch is NEW, used only for a couple of dive trips, no bumps, no hits, never dropped; it's new, but short or long-press the MODE button is not working and I am stuck... I spent big bucks on this watch, there must be a warranty or something. What else can I do???

Thanks Chris, right now I'm in San Salvador city, El Salvador.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 05:06 PM ----------

Now the seller (Dexclusive) is asking me if I know where the Suunto Service Center is in El Salvador.
There's no Suunto service center here.
Since the watch is new, I was expecting a replacement or at least a no-charge shipping to a service center in USA.
Now I'm worried...

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 09:00 AM ----------

UPDATE:
They said I have 2 options: send the watch to a service center in Buenos Aires Argentina (which is very far away, in South America) or back to them for repair. This is very dissappointing since the watch is new, but I prefer to send it directly to a repair center in USA (Miami?), instead of sending it back to Dexclusive and then having to wait while they send it to the Suunto Service Center.
How can I do that? What's the fastest option?
I have a dive trip to the caribbean on Aug 2nd and I think I won't get my watch on time...:(

Last edited:
gtrab,

The closest service center to you would be Suunto Repair which is in Tampa, Fl. The only way the repair could be covered under warranty would be if the company that you purchased the computer from is an Aqua Lung dealer. If the company is a direct Suunto dealer then you would be charged for the service. The reason being is because the service centers in the United States work through Aqua Lung who is the distributor for the Suunto computers, and Aqua Lung does not honor online sales from certain companies for example Leisure Pro. The repair would most likely be just a contact adjustment or a button replacement which wouldn't be very expensive at all, but the shipping would be the expensive part. Please let me know if the dealer that you purchased your computer from is Aqua Lung or just Suunto and we will further proceed from there.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

I bought the D6i from Dexclusive (dexclusive.com, through amazon.com), I guess they are not "aqualung" because they are wristwatch sellers... I'm learning my lesson.
They even made me "activate a warranty" through this site: ACTIVATEMYWARRANTY.COM

I don't care if I have to pay for the repair but I want it done ASAP and Dexclusive is making their best to delay/avoid taking care of it, so please tell me where to ship the watch or where to make contact.

gtrab,

Please go to the link provided: Suunto Regional Service Center

Click on the picture of the D6i and then just follow the steps until you come to the service request form. Fill out all of the information required. At the bottom of the page there will be a description of problem, where you can type in the issue that you are having as well as the date that you need the computer back by.
Once you have completed the form click at the bottom where it says "create for rma". If you filled the form out to it's entirety, you will then come to a order confirmed page. There will be an RMA # on that form. Please write that number on the exterior of the box that you are sending the computer in. You will receive an email with all of the information that you filled out as well as the RMA#, shipping address and instructions.
Please include in the box a copy of your purchase receipt so any warranty options can be explored for you. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

The guy @ Dexclusive gave me the option to send it back to them. I will proceed through them since I expect them to honor the warranty.

Thank you very much Chris. I'll keep you posted.

gtrab,

Your very welcome. Please let me know how it all works out, and if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best Regard,
Chris from Suunto

They want me to send it back to Florida at my expenses (FedEx $92 + $39 customs clearance), wait for the repair of my *NEW* watch, and then pay again for the local customs expenses when it finally comes back... NOW I'M GETTING UPSET.

Now I'm thinking of a cheaper shipping method or I will wait for a friend to travel to Florida, or I can go myself later during the year.
As I said before, I have a dive trip in 4 weeks and I guess I won't be wearing my over-a-thousand dollar useless computer (it still logs my dives at the lake, but useless at sea level since I have to change the altitude manually and I CAN'T because the MODE button is not working)

Such an expensive dive compuer shouldn't fail this way so miserably after just 3 weeks, no it can not be this bad. No.
What about a failure at 120 ft with nitrox? It could be catastrophic!
Just 3 weeks of usage, two dive trips and the MODE button is dead; UNACCEPTABLE quality.
And no: the watch was never dropped, no bumps, no hits at all. It just stopped working after the second dive of that day =(

gtrab,

I apologize for your displeasure. The company that you purchased the computer from should be honoring all costs involved with getting your computer repaired. The only reason that the costs are not covered by the service center in Florida is because they are Aqua Lung, and they do not honor online sales. If you could find a less expensive way to get the computer to the service center, the repair should not be more than 15 or so dollars and then the computer could be shipped directly to wherever you are traveling for your dive trip. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Back
Top Bottom