New Sony Cybershot RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What makes the Nauticam and Recsea housings worth the extra money? I've always had great luck (knock on wood) with Ikelite housings.

Much smaller size, full control access, precision fit and construction specific to the camera and generally better function with add on lenses (especially wide angle), optical cable ports built in.

N

We have all ikelite housings and love them! I had asked about the other one because others on here were saying it was a good housing for the NEX5 and I thought ikelite was not going to produce one for the RX100.

I also wrote Ikelite and ask about a housing for the RX100 and I got a response that they hope to have one out by early Sept., for anyone who is interested in Ikelite.

What makes the Nauticam and Recsea housings worth the extra money? I've always had great luck (knock on wood) with Ikelite housings.

I don't own RecSea products but owned a few Nauticams housing.
Ikelite if for RX100 size and where the lens port is not replaceable, should be OK.
Ikelite for DSLR size or Sony NEX7 kind of complicated TriNav dials, I won't even consider.

Aside from what Nemrod explained, to have DSLR where for various ports , one will need a few ports for different lenses, the way Ike secured the ports with 4 screws :
Ikelite Underwater Housing for Nikon D800 & Nikon D800E Camera ike-6812.8_2.jpg
.........is a joke.

Plastic is not a material suitable for repeated abuse from threading a screw in and out. Let alone comparing the beautiful & secure way a Nauticam housing changes its ports.

A full frame DSLR lens like Nikor 14-24mm cost USD1,800ish.
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8

Not to mention the cost of the port and the extension.

Cheap housing body like Ike for expensive DSLR is a waste of money and not a savings.
The approx US$1,600 to US$2,000 savings compared to any good alu housing in say a D800 category, is of no value in the end. You pile up the collections of lenses, ports and all other UW photo gears, the housing main body price difference will not become significant portion of the overall cost. I don't need to go in details on how engineering of buttons/dials/triggers and ergonomics of a good alu housings compared to an Ike. Spend an hour in a shop that carry an Ike and a Nauticam and/or Aquatica for Nikon D800 or Nikon D7000, place the camera inside them, play with the camera controls, change the lens and the ports while at it..........you will understand what I mean. Operational feel is something hard to write about, experience it yourself will be best.

Ike ports can and have dropped of from main body during a dive, if it has gone thru many repeated port changes. As I said, plastic is not something you want as a female threaded base for a stainless steel screws holding a heavy and precious port and is part of the waterproof integrity of the housing.

Ike has its place but with today's 5 axis CNC machine being much cheaper than 10+ years ago, aluminum is the way to go when the camera of choice can have lens change, hence a port change.

Company like Nauticam actually made today's alu housings prices much cheaper than 5 years ago.
To see and use a small camera like S100 and RX100 in an alu housing with full controls is so awesome !!!

Luck is one thing Reef, but precision and well constructed alu housing is an engineering art in itself.
For toughness, alu housing can't be beaten by any plastics.

Have fun shopping.......

I guess someone is not a fan of Ikelite...

I have owned 3 with a total dive count of just over 2000 spread across the three, and (I'm touching wood right now) not had any problems - so I am perfectly happy with Ikelite.

The machined Al housings are ergonomically better, but over the years I've seen many housings have problems (Ike included) and the problems are not restricted to plastic housings only. In most cases it's probably fair to say the user plays the biggest part in the problem.

If you have the money to buy a top range DSLR with quality lenses for diving, I suspect the extra money for whatever housing you want is not too much of a problem.

All the pictures in the thread link below were taken with a Sony in Ikelite, and the port did not fall off even once.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sony-snappers/424971-slt-a65-bigger-than-nex.html

I have owned 3 with a total dive count of just over 2000 spread across the three, and (I'm touching wood right now) not had any problems - so I am perfectly happy with Ikelite.
While I do agree with you on the Ikelite housings, I question your method of luck with a username like yours.

The saying for continued good luck is "Knock on wood" not "I'm touching wood" BigJeff.

Thank you for indulging my off-topic moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom