New Sony Cybershot RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeParrish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just saw a couple mentions today of a new Cybershot that looks like it may be pretty intesting. It's big feature is a larger 1" (13.2mm x 8.8mm) image sensor. and a fast f1.8 lens, along with a few other interesting things. Hopefully there will be a housing for it, if the focus performance is good and sensor is all they claim it to be it could be a nice bridge between P&S and higher end systems like Micro 4/3. Sensor performance of a larger camera, size and portability of a P&S. Check it out here: Cyber-shot RX100 Specs, Reviews, & Latest News | Sony | The Verge and Sony Announces Impressive Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Enthusiast Compact Camera . I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a new camera, now I may wait a few more days to see how this plays out. It would be awesome if someone like RecSea decided to do a housing for it like their housing for the Canon S100.

Yes agree looks amazing for such a compact camera. Nice large Zeiss lens as well. Should be good in low light

Yep, just saw news in the sonyalpharumors blog. Nice one from Sony. They also talk about a new NEX, the NEX-F5 and a very nice lens: 16-50mm G pancake zoom lens.

The camera looks great. Almost everything about it looks great, except for the high price, which may be worth it if the image quality for close-ups is great. Recsea is definitely doing a housing for it. I'll be posting a review on it here as soon as I get my hands on the camera for sure. - Scott

The camera looks great. Almost everything about it looks great, except for the high price, which may be worth it if the image quality for close-ups is great. Recsea is definitely doing a housing for it. I'll be posting a review on it here as soon as I get my hands on the camera for sure. - Scott

How can you be so sure that recsea will be building one for this camera

Was just playing with one...very nice little camera

ff4a1305.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

dae858ca.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

7b846613.jpg

Nice looking. I am planning to get this as pocket camera, but may even house it to retire my old compact camera (and postpone planned DSLR upgrade).

I wonder how this camera's optics will work with a UWA wet-lens. This question I have asked in many places and forums, but no one seems to know. My suspicion is that there is a limit on lens "iris" that will at least some existing UWA lenses vignette with this camera. As the sensor is larger and the iris is proportionally larger, there could have been a different requirement on the wet-lens' iris. Is this a corrct suspicion, and is the 1" system still usable with exisiting wet-lenses?

For me, the camera absolutely must be able to match at least my current S&S wet lens setup with a 90 deg rectilinear FOV.

Cheers
/OS

Really neat camera. The use of wet lenses is pretty much defined by the amount of lens travel (in actual operation) and where the lens is at the focal length you want to use. Perhaps Chile can answer that. Ideally, one would like the least amount of total movement, and if possible the distance between say 35mm and maximum to be smaller. (Lens does not just go in and out, but follows some other pattern as one zooms).

I have seen lens do all sorts of strange movements during zoom, so don't have a clue here.

As the farthest out defines where the front port will be, if the distance to wide angle is too great, most wide angle wet lenses will struggle to work, and all will have degraded images. If the distance is really small, then just about anyone will work.

We also don't know about the strobe control (there is no manual setting), so how it works with existing strobes is a question mark.

But everything I have seen on this camera says it will be almost ideal...does macro (most of the larger sensor non-removeable lens cameras don't), has a 20 meg sensor....it is bigger, but not too big (using a full frame or apc-C size sensor has several down sides for underwater use.

I know it has moved to the really short list of great underwater cameras (assuming someone makes a case for it).

i will take a look at it again....every time i walk in the store, i head straight to it just to tool around with it :wink:...it actually embarasses the wife a little. i will try and shoot a video on my phone going from wide to max zoom with it.

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:47 PM ----------

here's a quick vid. going from full wide to full zoom

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e343/chile7236/?action=view&current=7222d1f7.mp4

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom