New Sony Cybershot RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Chile. So the bad news is that the lens retracts as one goes wider and then moves back forward, so it reaches it's maximum retraction (say that 10 times fast). somewhere around the point where one would like to use for a wide angle. With lens that do that type of movement, they mostly are the farthest back at around 35mm. This is similar to the LX5 and the Canon S 95, both of which only have a couple of wide angle lens that work really well

Note: The oly wide angle wet lens, huge chunk of glass that it is, handles this condition really well and has excellent optics, however it is rather heavy.

The good news is the overall travel is not any bigger than several other camera's and there are solutions available.

i will take a look at it again....every time i walk in the store, i head straight to it just to tool around with it :wink:...it actually embarasses the wife a little. i will try and shoot a video on my phone going from wide to max zoom with it.

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:47 PM ----------

here's a quick vid. going from full wide to full zoom

7222d1f7.mp4 video by chile7236 - Photobucket

For a second, I didn't think the link would work

the interesting addition to high end compacts is samsung's EX2F...i read about the shortfalls with samsung but it looks like they are really trying to develop their camera lines in concert with the big boys

We will have the Recsea RX100 housing in about 2 weeks. It will be nice and small! - Scott

That housing looks very similar to the one for the canon s100 I wonder if it takes the same Inon AD adapter to go with it

---------- Post Merged at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Actually the one in the pic is the recsea for the S100 :dork2:

I've been playing with the camera and have even taken some underwater pics.. look for a review soon! - Scott

Scott, One of the compact camera issues is that the macro focus distance moves out as one zooms. Any ideal how big an effect it is with this camera?

Note: It seems to be the one piece of information one never gets in the reviews of camera's.

Ideally, one would get reasonable macro as you zoom out, but as I am sure you know, that varies a lot from camera to camera.

The only reasons I can find for using a compact camera underwater are:

1. Price (and this guy does not help much)

2. Size (it sure has that)

3. Increased depth of field on macro images. (Ok, there is a trade-off between image quality and DOF, and one that, in this case, would seem to be worth it)

4. Flexibility, without having to use add on lenses. To me, the perfect camera would have a 24 to say 120mm zoom, with a minimum focus, at the 120mm of less than 1 ft. Yea, I know, I'm dreaming. So this guy has 28mm to 100mm and can do fairly good macro at 28mm, but if the minimum focus distance goes really long, as you zoom out, then it sort of defeats a lot of the value.

Note2: Ok, carrying add on macro lens is a lot smaller and easier than any wide angle, but not needing them for general photography would be nice.

I also like the initial concept... hope it does not have any major issues.

We will have the Recsea RX100 housing in about 2 weeks. It will be nice and small! - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom