New Security at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odd. Almost all toiletries are now available in 3.4 oz sizes, either because that was a common size before the TSA decision, or because they adjusted - except for that toothpaste?! They still package most of their products in 4 oz, one is over 4 oz, but the children's tube is 3.4: Buy Sensodyne Pronamel for Children, Gentle Mint Online at drugstore.com You may have to use it on trips
If you are worried about toothpaste sizes, just go to your dentist and ask for a couple of free sample tubes of the stuff. Virtually all dentists have them, and are usually glad to hand them out. You have to use whatever brand he (or she) is stocking, but for a trip this matters little. These tubes are averaging about 3/4 to 1 oz. in size, and are plenty for a week trip or more. Simple and cheap solution.:D

If you are worried about toothpaste sizes, just go to your dentist and ask for a couple of free sample tubes of the stuff. Virtually all dentists have them, and are usually glad to hand them out. You have to use whatever brand he (or she) is stocking, but for a trip this matters little. These tubes are averaging about 3/4 to 1 oz. in size, and are plenty for a week trip or more. Simple and cheap solution.:D
You beat me to it! My dentist -also a diver - always gives me a few 'samples' at each cleaning, and they often have a basket of the small tubes in their bathroom. (I guess people brush their teeth at the dentists office??) He also gives me a few toothbrushes as well. I stockpile everything he gives me for our trips, and it works out great.

I guess people brush their teeth at the dentists office??
Which I am sure the dental pros appreciate. :D

Unlike Dave, I check bags which I hope make my planes and amazingly they almost always do. Still, I cram as much as I can in my roll-on and backpack/personal bag just in case - starting with the most important things in the backpack, next important in roll-on, etc.

I always carry a trial size of mouthwash in my 3-1-1 bag and use it before each flight as a courtesy :satisfied: but that little bottle wouldn't last me a week. If my checked bags were delayed, I'd be looking.

Anyway, free samples are nice, but Wallyworld and many others stock travel size products and most toiletries are available in 3.4 oz, even my denture adhesive - and that I take 3 tubes for safety, one in backpack, one in each checked bag, one of which goes in my boarding bag! Not as easy to find if lost.

Also remember that if your checked bags are delayed, the airline if fully responsible for your needs. I guess they still pass out overnight toiletry kits in such times to discourage shopping, but if you need things - get them and save your receipts. It's been over a decade since I had a bag delayed so I don't know if airlines can still write checks at airports for some cases but I got $600 at check-in last time it did happen to me and it took 6 days for the bags to catch up to my liveaboard. Otherwise, file those claims.

Dave doesn't want to check a bag when he leaves Coz tho, only going to Coz and those are transporting goods.

Most outdoor shops also sell special set of travel toothpaste (Elmex): one tube for mornings, ons for evenings.

Water is not required (great for live aboards). Works great, is really concentrated and comes in neat small tubes.

Dandy Don, and just for the curious, When not in Cozumel I rent out my apartment at the Villa Aldora. There I have all my clothes and toiletries stashed in locked closets. Most amazingly, when I return everything is in place where I left it weeks before (great maid named Juanita). But this time the Villa Aldora was completely booked up and I had to stay in the Cantamar Condos next door. That is why I brought my international travel bag that had the offending tooth paste.

Especially for Dandy Don my Texas compatriot I went to the local Randalls supermarket today and could find absolutely no tooth paste less than 4 oz....NONE.

But again, in spite of published TSA regulations I have, over many hundreds of flights international and otherwise, never been hassled for the larger plastic bag or 4 oz tooth paste tubes.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I went to the local Randalls supermarket today and could find absolutely no tooth paste less than 4 oz....NONE.
:confused: How odd. Guess you need to go to Wallyworld. :(

Or I may have to backpedal here? One tube I looked at of mine is 3.8 oz, the other 2.4. Research needed now.

Last edited:
Something I learned and want to share with everyone.

This is directly from American airlines website

Batteries

9-volt, AA, AAA, C, D, alkaline, carbon zinc, silver oxide, zinc air, lithium, nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride

Guidelines For Lithium Batteries As of January 1, 2008, travelers may no longer pack spare lithium batteries of any kind in checked baggage. Passengers wishing to carry spare lithium batteries for devices such as laptops, cell phones and cameras are now required to pack them in their carry-on baggage with the terminals covered/insulated. Travelers may check bags that contain batteries, as long as they are installed in electronic devices.

As stated above batteries must be in your carry-on, however when I reached the xray machine leaving Cozumel the Mexican TSA tried to take all my batteries. To say I was unhappy would be a vast understatement, I refused to just let them take my batteries and went back thru security to the American airlines check-in counter. Once I arrived at the counter I ask for a supervisor and showed them their own list of prohibited items in your carry-on posted on the counter.
Batteries were not on the list and then they proceeded to tell me their list was correct but the Mexican officials have their own rules.

Now as you can imagine I am even more unhappy now and want them to issue a separate baggage box for my batteries or return my luggage so I can put the batteries in it. Which now for some reason is ok even tho their own website say you can't do that. Lucky for me another passenger offered to put my batteries in his luggage.

I urge everyone to check their airlines rules on batteries but understand Mexico seem to make up their own rules. Unfortunately if we want to travel now-day's we have to put up with type of treatment.

Please note I had the same batteries in my cameras and strobes in the same carry-on case and they never said nothing. In my opinion it is case Mexican TSA workers taking stuff to sell later. I am by no means saying all Mexican people act this way but the group at the xray machine that day were taking things that people brought thru American TSA security on the way down.

Again I love the Mexican people and have found in my many trips to Cozumel that they are very honest and hardworking folks. I can only tell you what happened and my feelings towards those at the security xray machine. Most folks would just let them take have the stuff as my wife seen while waiting for me to return back thru security. She told me that while waiting for me to return, they were taking stuff from about every 3rd or 4th passenger. (including a collapsible fishing pole)
I cannot believe that this many travelers (who passed TSA on the way down to Cozumel) forgot what was allowed and what is prohibited.

I would like to tell you what to do but it seems they make up the rules according to who is working that day.

Just a heads up.

PS: I had well over $150.00 in batteries but even if it were only $5.00 its the principle.

Heres a link to the Mexican TSA list
http://www.aeropuertosgap.com.mx/assets/files/seguridad/4.PDF

As stated above batteries must be in your carry-on, however when I reached the xray machine leaving Cozumel the Mexican TSA tried to take all my batteries. To say I was unhappy would be a vast understatement, I refused to just let them take my batteries and went back thru security to the American airlines check-in counter. Once I arrived at the counter I ask for a supervisor and showed them their own list of prohibited items in your carry-on posted on the counter.
Batteries were not on the list and then they proceeded to tell me their list was correct but the Mexican officials have their own rules.

Now as you can imagine I am even more unhappy now and want them to issue a separate baggage box for my batteries or return my luggage so I can put the batteries in it. Which now for some reason is ok even tho their own website say you can't do that. Lucky for me another passenger offered to put my batteries in his luggage.

I urge everyone to check their airlines rules on batteries but understand Mexico seem to make up their own rules. Unfortunately if we want to travel now-day's we have to put up with type of treatment.

Please note I had the same batteries in my cameras and strobes in the same carry-on case and they never said nothing. In my opinion it is case Mexican TSA workers taking stuff to sell later. I am by no means saying all Mexican people act this way but the group at the xray machine that day were taking things that people brought thru American TSA security on the way down.

Again I love the Mexican people and have found in my many trips to Cozumel that they are very honest and hardworking folks. I can only tell you what happened and my feelings towards those at the security xray machine. Most folks would just let them take have the stuff as my wife seen while waiting for me to return back thru security. She told me that while waiting for me to return, they were taking stuff from about every 3rd or 4th passenger. (including a collapsible fishing pole)
I cannot believe that this many travelers (who passed TSA on the way down to Cozumel) forgot what was allowed and what is prohibited.
Believe it or not, Mexico is a sovereign country and yes, it is entitled to "make up its own rules". It is not a province of the U.S. It is not subject to TSA rules.

For the most part, air travel restrictions attempt some sort of standardization worldwide, but just like it's impossible to have one currency or one language around the world, it's also impossible to have one set of air travel restrictions equally enforced by all nations. In the battery case, it's likely confusion over the U.S. TSA battery guidelines that make the Mexican security practice "over kill": better to prevent all batteries from getting on the plane rather than allow the wrong types through and have some U.S. government agency bitch at them.

Of course, even with more pay and training, the U.S. TSA doesn't get it right every time. They're a lot better now, but when all the various post 9/11 airline restrictions were first being promulgated, lots of stuff was being confiscated that should have been permitted under the rules. Given our democratic system and the fact that lots of Americans can afford to fly and complain, our rules became more standardized and today's TSA is much better about only confiscating what is truly not permitted (leaving Americans to complain about other things now instead, like body scans and pat downs). Should the Mexican government invest more money in training and standardization for its airport security and less money on fancy marble floors in the airports? Perhaps. But it's their country, their call. If you don't want to put up with a country that can "make its own rules", you can always stay in the U.S.

Believe it or not, Mexico is a sovereign country and yes, it is entitled to "make up its own rules". It is not a province of the U.S. It is not subject to TSA rules.

For the most part, air travel restrictions attempt some sort of standardization worldwide, but just like it's impossible to have one currency or one language around the world, it's also impossible to have one set of air travel restrictions equally enforced by all nations. In the battery case, it's likely confusion over the U.S. TSA battery guidelines that make the Mexican security practice "over kill": better to prevent all batteries from getting on the plane rather than allow the wrong types through and have some U.S. government agency bitch at them.

Of course, even with more pay and training, the U.S. TSA doesn't get it right every time. They're a lot better now, but when all the various post 9/11 airline restrictions were first being promulgated, lots of stuff was being confiscated that should have been permitted under the rules. Given our democratic system and the fact that lots of Americans can afford to fly and complain, our rules became more standardized and today's TSA is much better about only confiscating what is truly not permitted (leaving Americans to complain about other things now instead, like body scans and pat downs). Should the Mexican government invest more money in training and standardization for its airport security and less money on fancy marble floors in the airports? Perhaps. But it's their country, their call. If you don't want to put up with a country that can "make its own rules", you can always stay in the U.S.
Beat me to it. :D

I may not argue over the $5 principle that hard, but my $50 or so in NiMHs - yeah. I pack my loose ones in cases that I got with them from Thomas Distributing.

Capture.JPG

...but I've heard of security agents in other countries collecting them so I stick them in checked bags. I don't carry extra Lithium batteries tho, the ones with the fire danger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom