New Security at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I left Cozumel for Houston on Thursday, June 30th with my normal carry on bag. In the past security never asked for computers to be pulled out, or the size of the liquid toiletries bag was never an issue. Now they require the computers to be out and the liquids bag can be no bigger than the small quart size. They would not accept my half gallon bag even though I have been through US security 100s of times with no problem. But if your toothpaste is over 3 ounces, as shown on the container, you cannot take it through! That is even though virtually all toothpastes contain 4 ounces or more. Better put the tooth paste in a checked bag!

My guess is that US security people came through and read the letter of the law to them and they don't have anyone that can use any level of discretion. But don't worry you don't, as of now, have to take your shoes off!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I left Cozumel for Houston on Thursday, June 30th with my normal carry on bag. In the past security never asked for computers to be pulled out, or the size of the liquid toiletries bag was never an issue. Now they require the computers to be out and the liquids bag can be no bigger than the small quart size. They would not accept my half gallon bag even though I have been through US security 100s of times with no problem. But if your toothpaste is over 3 ounces, as shown on the container, you cannot take it through! That is even though virtually all toothpastes contain 4 ounces or more. Better put the tooth paste in a checked bag!

My guess is that US security people came through and read the letter of the law to them and they don't have anyone that can use any level of discretion. But don't worry you don't, as of now, have to take your shoes off!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
That's the way it was in May when I left the island as well. My sister got dinged for several hair products. They made me take out my laptop and demonstrate the operability of my video camera.

When I came back on the 12th, I had a small rachet & socket set taken. I have made 3 trips this year with it & never had an issue. They didn't take a lighter I had forgotten about though......guess it's ok to burn the plane, but not disassemble it!

Mike

When I came back on the 12th, I had a small rachet & socket set taken. I have made 3 trips this year with it & never had an issue. They didn't take a lighter I had forgotten about though......guess it's ok to burn the plane, but not disassemble it!

Mike
Lighters have been legal for years. That was a short live prohibition. They will limit you to one in your carry-on leaving Coz tho, which is unusual - and you can have more in your pockets, or so it was in August.

Security in other countries for flights going to the US are supposed to operate within TSA guidelines, more or less, subject to local calls. I've never tried carrying a ziplock of liquids beyond the rules...
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

I carry two other quart ziplocks, one for everything in my pockets to ride in my backpack rather than the tray - where things get lost, and one to share with someone who forgot if needed.

Here are the No-nos: TSA: Prohibited Items :no:
Sharp Objects
Sporting Goods
Guns & Firearms
Tools (under 7" ok)
Martial Arts & Self Defense Items
Explosive & Flammable Materials, Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items
Other Items (see link for details)

Dear Don,

I know what the rules say about the quart sized bag, but with all the stuff I need to keep my youthful appearance... 1 qt won't work. And since I normally travel for short trips or just back and forth to Cozumel from Houston all I take is a carry on. I also travel a bunch in the US and Asia, at least enough to be a Platinum Flyer on Continental. That is maybe 50 to 100 flights a year and never, in any airport has my plastic half gallon bag been questioned. Nor has my normal tube of toothpaste, the smallest you can buy (other than the travel tube type, and Sensodyne is not available that way) is 4 OZ.

My tube on Thursday was obviously less than half full but the brain dead security guy said I could not take it because it said 4 oz on the container. Their list also excludes tweezers of which I had two, but they missed that.

The bottom line is that all scubaboarders should expect new and crazy inspections and security measures when leaving the Cozumel Airport, and maybe Cancun as well. IF you have a checked bag, put everything in there.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS While others in Coz were asked to take off their shoes just like in the US (new for Coz) they let me go through with my flip flops which the US won't do. Its a crazy world out there...Damn you Osama Bin Laden!

Odd. Almost all toiletries are now available in 3.4 oz sizes, either because that was a common size before the TSA decision, or because they adjusted - except for that toothpaste?! They still package most of their products in 4 oz, one is over 4 oz, but the children's tube is 3.4: Buy Sensodyne Pronamel for Children, Gentle Mint Online at drugstore.com You may have to use it on trips.

As much as you travel to Coz, you may want to leave a lot of your supplies there.

The 1 Qt. bag and 3.5 oz limit has been standard for some time now. Flying from Cancun last week they checked everyone pretty close and then randomly did detailed inspections of some people. Our silly friend tried to carry on several cans of beer and bottles of water. Gone! LOL

Shop the travel section of health and beauty aids at WalMart, CVS, or Walgreens. All the items are well under TSA sizes, including tooth paste. Sometimes you might slip something bigger by security and sometimes you might get it taken.

I guess hand carrying bottles of booze back is out now too? That only worked well for the non-stop flights. If you connected, the bottles had to go into checked luggage.
The 1 Qt. bag and 3.5 oz limit has been standard for some time now.
3.4, not 3.5

Last edited:
Dave san, Thanks for your information. I have thought that security at Coz apt is much severer than other country including U.S. since my 1st visit. Every time I get out island, I am asked to check all hand carry items at boarding gate, after security check point, maybe next time. And according to webpage of ASURE, ASUR > Airports > Cozumel > Travel Tips , Liquids are limited up to 3oz and lighters are not permitted.

Dave san, Thanks for your information. I have thought that security at Coz apt is much severer than other country including U.S. since my 1st visit. Every time I get out island, I am asked to check all hand carry items at boarding gate, after security check point, maybe next time. And according to webpage of ASURE, ASUR > Airports > Cozumel > Travel Tips , Liquids are limited up to 3oz and lighters are not permitted.
That does seem excessive to check roll-ons after clearing Security screening doesn't it? As I recall, they check roll-ons but not backpacks or personal pockets so it seems pretty useless. I guess the guards get to split the winnings of the products that travelers throw in the trash at the last minute.

I see at that Asur site that lighters are prohibited. That is well out of date for TSA regulations, but while it might be a local or Mexican rule - not enforced.

I also see there that liquids in hand luggage are limited to 3 oz/100 ml in a "clear plastic bag," size not mentioned. 100 ml = 3.38 oz, which TSA rounds up to 3.4, so while it could be a local or Mexican rule - it's not accurate. Even the TSA name of 3-1-1 for the program implies a 3 oz max, but one can only hope that the agents know it's 3.4 oz as many toiletries are packaged in 3.4 oz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom