New Ri, Ma Shore Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that's what happens of course. I know tropicals such as butterfly fish come up into Rhode Island Sound. Divers try to scoop them up for aquariums before it get's cold.

Butterflies and yellow tail damsels are pretty common in RI. Sea horses also turn up with regularity, but I haven't come across any my self. There has been some discussion as to whether are seasonal like the butterflies or indigenous. Lionfish have been caught up there also, but fortunately the cold kills them in September. This warm spell we are having is getting my hopes up for an early start to the season.

Poor wittle fella's gonna freeze.

Actually, most are surprised that there are native sea horses in New England and even further north. I'm not sure if this guy is one of them though but he looks like a lined sea horse. The Lined Sea Horse (Hippocampus erectus) can be found as far as Nova Scotia, Canada.

Hippocampus erectus :: Florida Museum of Natural History
The Natural History and Captive Care of Native Seahorses – The Atlantic (Northern or Lined) Seahorse, Hippocampus erectus | That Fish Blog
Lined seahorse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen quite a few Butterflies @ King's Beach, always a pleasure.
What are the chances of mild surf/ decent viz at King's Beach if I drove up there? I only dived there once 10 years ago and I aborted the dive--perhaps because I was very new then, perhaps not.

I have seen quite a few Butterflies @ King's Beach, always a pleasure.
What are the chances of mild surf/ decent viz at King's Beach if I drove up there? I only dived there once 10 years ago and I aborted the dive--perhaps because I was very new then, perhaps not.

You could PM AfterDark or CT-Rich for best expertise on the site. I am a novice diver and feel as though it is as easy as a shore dive can be. Easy entrance, good vis for the area, and tons of life.

I would always check conditions here: Marine Weather | Weather Underground

All NE diving is at the mercy of the weather; not only on the day you may want to dive but the days before. If we get a day or two of rain and strong S SE SW winds, it takes a few days or more for things to settle down. The further up the bay the longer it takes for the normalization. I attempted a dive 2 weeks after Hurricane Gloria hit our shores at Newport, Green Bridge, it was like swimming in a cup of coffee with a touch of cream. I don't know when it cleared up but a few weeks later it was back to normal that is to say 10' vis.

Now 2-3 days of light winds out of the N, no storms off the coast and the Gulf Stream moved in close to shore and you got yourself a winner dive! Could be as much as 30' vis but more likely 20' which is spectacular if all your diving is done here. August is the best time for this to happen.

Thanks. Sounds identical to NS. May give it another try. If no good there's always Wetherill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom