New rEvo BOV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First:

Second, I am already well aware that many of you - people that I have come to know a little bit and whose opinions I highly value and respect - do not agree with the configuration I am starting with. However, I hope that you can all respect that what I am actually doing is following the lead of one of my primary CCR mentors - someone with significant experience diving deep (>100m) wrecks on CCR and who was trained by someone who is also a well respected deep wreck diver and CCR instructor. My mentor is someone whom I am friends in real life and with whom I have dived a fair bit.

So, can we leave it at that for the moment and just focus on the merits (or demerits) of the BOV itself?

Well, if you want to put that spin on it... LOL :wink: :D

It did not come with a gag strap just like it doesn't come with breathing hoses. The kit does not include parts that were stock on the unit to begin with and that are re-used in the installation of the BOV.

I have emailed the company to see if I can get WOB numbers, the IP spec for the BOV, and a service manual.

I have been told that Paul Raymaekers at rEvo has an ANSTI machine and has tested WOB on many BOVs and DSVs. Until I have reason to doubt what rEvo says, I am inclined to believe them when they say the BOV has lower WOB than the stock DSV. For CC mode, anyway. I did not ask before about WOB on OC. But I do hope they will get back to me with actual WOB data. I prefer data to faith.

If the BOV turns out to be shite and my experience only serves as a warning to others to run away, run away, well, as long I don't end up seriously damaged or dead, what's the problem? :D

DSV WOB with Draeger flappers is not hard to beat. Unless Mares commissioned thinner/better flappers for the revo when they took over?

Mares 2nd stage at that angle on that BOV, not impressed. No reason to believe it performs better than all the other BOVs with similar OC diaphragm orientation. It seems like it’s probably a generic design, possibly for CE compliance.

WOB as a measure is of course a cumulative measurement of the loop, and BMCL units only breathe well in one orientation. Throw a generic BOV design onto the loop and maybe it breathes better in OC than the loop in most orientations, not hard to imagine...

I logged 3 hours on the new BOV today. I flipped the lever to experience changing between CC and OC a couple of times. Flipping the lever is very stiff. But, it seems to breathe just fine in both modes.

I can say with confidence that breathing in CC mode is no worse than the original DSV. Maybe it was better/easier. I cannot say. But it definitely seemed no worse.

You can easily get a LPI male fitting with a one way valve.

If you are using a revo mav you do not want to hook up alternate O2 to that - it will blow tiny drops of water into your orifice and solenoid. You need to put in a splitter and hook up your offboard gas (whether dil or O2) to the dil side.

???
The rEvo MAV I have pushes gas in the OPV port. O2 or Dil go through the same LP hose straight into the exhale CL. The orifice and solenoid might be misted, but that would require a lot of water ingress...
The ambient humidity is potentially more of an issue than this remote possibility, IMHO.

???
The rEvo MAV I have pushes gas in the OPV port. O2 or Dil go through the same LP hose straight into the exhale CL. The orifice and solenoid might be misted, but that would require a lot of water ingress...
The ambient humidity is potentially more of an issue than this remote possibility, IMHO.

What I was saying is
There is a port for offboard dil in the Revo Mav, you should be using that if you want to inject offboard O2

You dont want to put a splitter or any kind of QD on the O2 port. That needs to connect to onboard O2 in the dry. If you put any type of QD (qc6, qc4, swagelock etc) on the O2 inlet you will get water into the solenoid or orifice.

What I was saying is
There is a port for offboard dil in the Revo Mav, you should be using that if you want to inject offboard O2

You dont want to put a splitter or any kind of QD on the O2 port. That needs to connect to onboard O2 in the dry. If you put any type of QD (qc6, qc4, swagelock etc) on the O2 inlet you will get water into the solenoid or orifice.

Ah, OK. Not sure how practical a splitter on the O2 injection port would be anyway on a rEvo, as it is at the bottom and back of the unit (essentially inaccessible).

Looks like you have a plug on the right side that could be used to swap the bailout hose location?

Swap the BOV feed from the left side to the right?

If you look at the 2nd picture in my first post, I think you can see why I don’t think that will work. The BOV case is not symmetrical.

I did get 3 hours in on the new BOV on Saturday. Just in the local(-ish) lake. Never went deeper than 45 feet.

So far, I like it. I definitely cannot notice that it is any harder to breath than the DSV.

The lever to switch between OC and CC is very stiff. Very stiff. I think if someone else found me in the water and were trying to flip the lever, they would probably have to use 2 hands.

It breathed just fine in OC mode. Slightly more cracking pressure than my usual OC regs, but I don't have any issue with that.

It seemed like the hose coming off the left side and going back to the dil manifold makes it feel a little unbalanced or something. Or maybe it pulls just a little bit when I turn my head fully to the right. Or maybe I just need a different amount of loop weight on one side versus the other. I need some more time with it to decide about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom